Current iPhone unlocking policies?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
What's the current Koodo policy on iPhones and locking?  I know they can no longer charge an unlock fee, and the Q&A says you can unlock a phone immediately if "buying outright", although there's nothing about what restrictions if any might apply if you don't buy it outright.
A local Koodo outlet though that new iPhones might be coming unlocked out of the box, but they weren't sure.  Is this the case, perhaps only for non-Tab phones?
I'd normally buy direct from Apple since there seems to be no advantage to buying through the flanker brands, but I've got a $150 discount from their conversion of the old positive Tab balance, so I'll likely buy through Koodo if I get an iPhone.  Unfortunately, they don't carry the two iPhone 7 colors I'm most interested in (silver, gold).  I guess its a black phone again... :)
Photo of NorthernRaven

NorthernRaven

• 1,894 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
CRTC regs are publicly available and easily googled. All phones as of Dec 1 2017 must be sold unlocked. Anything sold before must be unlocked for free. That's it. No exceptions for tabs.
Photo of NorthernRaven

NorthernRaven

• 1,894 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ah, I didn't know there was a mandate to require unlocked phones at sale, instead of just no-charge unlocking.  Koodo's own Q&A certainly hasn't been updated to reflect this.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/unlocking-your-phone
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 96,592 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Strange that it's worded like that. Here it is:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/c...
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just got an Essential phone from Koodo in March along with the $35 1G plan. Current tab balance $215.
The phone is locked to Telus however.  Variant-Telus, Device State-Locked
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

If you want it unlocked then I believe you still need to contact Telus despite Moose being owned by Telus.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

And how would I go about that with Telus? It is a new phone sent to me by Koodo.

Up to this point having  dealt with Koodo. Not impressed at all. 

First it took them 3 weeks to credit a charge to my CC, then they now show an incorrect Tab balance. And now they won't allow me to pay off my $215 tab balance even though I will be keeping my plan with them
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

If it was bought from Koodo then you should be able to put in your IMEI in self-serve to get the unlock code. If that won't work then you will need to send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to get it sorted out.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

As for your tab balance, that too will have to sorted out by contacting a rep and again you can use FB/Twitter to do so.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

I just requested the unlock from my Koodo account and they sent me an email with instructions, but I don't see the unlock code they referred to anywhere on the email.

Maybe it would be better if I get someone at a Koodo kiosk to do it as in any case I only have an expired PetroCan SIM to replace the Koodo SIM.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

That should still be enough to make the phone's unlock code screen pop up. You can always put it in to see if it'll do that.

Odd that it didn't give you the unlock code. You can message back or call back to complain about it. Or go to a kiosk I suppose
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 61,680 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Afaik koodo kiosks dont do unlocking. Maybe its changed since I last checked though?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Ah right they likely still don't then.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Goran, Allan - I know you guys are doing your [unpaid?] best.

But although I am not normally a miserable SOB,  my experiences with Koodo have been less than optimal. I was willing to make allowances for their busy period with the March promotions, but I am still a customer.

It took me three weeks to get them to credit my account for a $120 Tab reduction charge they put on my CC in early March. Now they can't even get my Tab balance right.

And, in spite of CRTC regulations to the contrary, they  sell me a Telus locked phone [purchased March 2018] . Now they send me an email supposedly with the requested unlocking code, but no sign of it in the email.

Now all this means back to hours and hours spent trying to get them to correct things again.

Really wanted to like Koodo, but they are sure making it difficult.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Guys, this is the email. Maybe if I use ultraviolet light the code will show up?

Hi XXXX,

Good news! Your request to unlock your phone (IMEI: ##########) has been completed. Follow these steps to unlock your phone.

Before you unlock your phone...

• You'll need a SIM card from another carrier to complete the unlock process.
  • Please make sure to enter the exact unlock code provided. Your phone could be permanently locked and unusable after three (3) incorrect attempts.
  • This unlock code is unique to your phone and will not expire.

The unlock instructions might be different based on your phone, but the steps below will apply for almost all phones.

1. Power off your phone.
  2. Remove your current SIM card and insert a SIM from another carrier
  3. Power your device back on.
  4. Enter your unlock code when prompted on your screen: UNLOCK_NOT_SENT

For more information, visit our Device Unlock support page.

Thanks!
The Koodo Team

And if I screw up and the phone is bricked it will be my problem I suppose.

Photo of Mats

Mats

• 20,996 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
J Desaumarez just out of curiosity how are you seeing that your phone is locked?
Photo of Mats

Mats

J Desaumarez just out of curiosity how are you seeing that your phone is locked?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such issues.

You can always file a CCTS complaint for receiving a Telus locked phone when all phones sold must be unlocked. That is your right if you want reoslution that you cannot get via contact with Koodo. Certainly keep all correspondence and a timeline to support your case then.

Neither of us said that the code was in the email and that you missed it. I suggested that you contact Koodo again to get the code provided to you.

I wouldn't suggest using email to contact Koodo as they are notorious for being extremely backlogged. You'll still need to contact Koodo directly to get this resolved. If you're patient, use FB Messenger or Twitter, if you're not, call 611. Up to you. Unfortunately we cannot help you with getting the unlock code directly as we are not employees. There are employees here, but they aren't always able to assist, depending on if they can link your profile name / email to your actual Koodo account.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Mats, don't know if it works on all android phones, but on my Essential phone, when OFF...
Press Down Volume/Power together until startup..

You will see various lines in white and red....look for

Variant - if no entry [name of carrier etc] phone is unlocked. In my case shows Telus
Device State - this line states either Locked or Unlocked. In my case shows Locked
Photo of Mats

Mats

Very interesting. Thanks
Photo of Karl

Karl, Employee

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hey there!

Your unlock code should be showing, under normale circumstances, where UNLOCK_NOT_SENT is displayed in the e-mail you received. This error message means that the phone is factory unlocked and an unlock code can't be generated.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,198 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Karl,
   So a clearer error code should be included in the email. Maybe 'Phone_Factory_Unlocked' would be a better choice?
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Karl, please take a look at my earlier comment.

When booted [low volume/power press] phone status shows the following.

Variant Telus
Device State - Locked

Every online source I checked indicates this is a LOCKED phone.

Possibly Koodo cannot generate an unlock code because its locked for Telus. But in any event I would really like this to be sorted out before I leave on my trip.
Photo of Karl

Karl, Employee

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
@David That'd be great indeed. We've already submitted this as a modification idea.

@J Desaumarez All Essential phones are sold factory unlocked so I would suggest that you test with perhaps a friend's SIM with another carrier.
(Edited)
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Thanks, but as the phone itself shows it is locked, and I don't have access to anyone with another carrier to use their SIM, I have asked Essential for help as they do have a reputation for good service and customer care. I also sent them a photo of the start screen.

I cannot take the risk of traveling to the EU to learn the phones is in fact locked to  Telus.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

So use your petro sim card or go to a best buy or Walmart or something to have another carrier 's sim put in to be 100% sure.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Are you serious? I have already had enough problems with Koodos accounting mistakes. Now it appears that they have sold me a locked phone, against CRTC regs and I must spend time going to Walmart? What a total joke.
Please do me a favor don't spend any more time on my case.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

I am serious. Have you tried your other sim yet? Even if it's not active it should still work. Putting in a different carrier's sim card is the 100% guaranteed way to seeIf it is unlocked.

Ok then sirrah good luck with being rude to people helping you and your phone and adieu.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,420 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What happens when you go to: Settings > About phone > OMADM Updates > UICC Unlock? Does your phone have this option and does it show lock status? I'm not familiar with the Essential phone, just helping to find some answers.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

• 470 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Goran, my apologies. I went a bit over the top. Want to take it out on Koodo management [?], not you guys.

It's just that I moved over to Koodo on its supposedly good rep, and had to spend weeks and multiple emails and calls to get them to find & credit a $155 CC charge in early March.

Then i paid the first bill, and now they have my Tab balance wrong.

Now the phone itself shows as being Locked, and when I request unlock using my online account there is no code.

If anyone could just explain how the phone can in  fact be unlocked, when the bootloader [?] shows

Variant Telus
Device State - Locked

Rikkster, the Essential is on the latest Oreo and April security updates but there is nothing in settings, system or about phone to do with  OMADM Updates > UICC Unlock.

Maybe Essential themselves will shed some light on this. If so will post.
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

For those who want a headache XDA Developers have a 44 page discussion on Essential phone unlocking. Evidently if the starts shows as above, the phone is locked.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/how-to/discussion-brainstorm-sim-unlock-t3724135/pa...
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

It really says something about Koodo/Telus management.

I sent an email to Essential Co., this morning asking about locked phones and the meaning of the bootloader Variant and Device Locks. I received a full explanation three hours later.

Meanwhile, its been taking weeks to get any response from Koodo's offices to emails.
(Edited)
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 22,310 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Did Essential support say your phone is locked by what you are seeing?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 42,256 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@J Desaumarez: The essential was already unlocked in your case, I believe so. Have you tried to put another SIM from another carrier? It might be quicker to test with another SIM rather than coming here to wait and wait.

Unlocking issue with Android has been an issue for a while. LG, Samsung phones report differently with unlocked phones.
(Edited)
Photo of J Desaumarez

J Desaumarez

Dinh, Thanks for the response. I had based my assumption about locking on the bootloader indications [i.e Variant - Telus, DeviceStatus - Locked]. One of the Android Tech mags has implied this.

Essential explained the bootloader readings. The "Variant" is hardcoded into the device.  It will never change, it just indicates how the phone came from the factory.  It doesn't have any implication on carrier lock status.

As to the DeviceStatus, Lisa at Essential explained that this indicates that the bootloader is locked not that the device is locked. Makes you wonder why they use "DeviceStatus" in the first place.

I also called Telus yesterday, and they said the phone had been locked, but it was unlocked on Sat 15th.

I borrowed an inactive SIM and it was recognized, but I will pass by a kiosk soon just have them make sure before I travel.

Thanks for your help.
(Edited)