choosing a 416 number while living in brampton

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I live in Brampton (mailing address) and I was given a 289 number. 
I went online and changed it to a 416 number for convenience.

My question is will that present a problem?
Will Koodo all of a sudden yank it away? (because I don't live in Toronto)

Brampton is literally in the GTA.

Well the question I ask is, are you able to maintain a number different from your  area code (mailing address)?

I am not worried about them taking away the plan, I am more worried about the number.
We plan on giving it to our family and friends. I don't want to inconvenience them with another number change. 
Photo of ilovechicago

ilovechicago

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 196,906 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi ilovechicago, you shouldn't have any issues since it's in the same province especially if you have a Canada wide calling plan and not local calling plan since pricing is dependant on province not city. I think Koodo only concerned about ppl getting out of province plans where pricing differs drastically, you should be fine.
(Edited)
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 138,772 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I second this. I've had a Toronto number since I signed up with Koodo 5-6 years ago and I'm in Thunder Bay.
Photo of ilovechicago

ilovechicago

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a plan that is compatible with Ontario.

The reason for my worry:

koodo initially gave me a random Brampton area code number, which I manually changed online to a Toronto number by manually selecting city: Toronto and choosing a 416 area code. I live in Brampton and my mailing address is also Brampton.

I was worried they might yank it away or the system might default me back to a random Brampton number. Updating phone numbers is a hassle.

Coming from another carrier I have to say I'm thus far very happy with the reception, customer service and this online community.

Side questions: is Koodo running on the same identical network as Bell and Telus? And does Koodo get less priority than the Bell or Telus?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Sorry if I asked any silly questions.
(Edited)