Charged for 1800 call while International

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
I was travelling abroad in South America and had my wallet stolen. I immediately called the mastercard 1-877 number to freeze my card. I was chaged $55 for the 22min conversation.

Is there something I'm not understanding about toll free numbers? Why was I charged?
Photo of Paul Boechler

Paul Boechler

• 70 Points

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Toll free only applies specifically to land lines really. They count against your minutes for mobile. If you have unlimited then youre good. You don't have unlimited roaming so you're charged the rate for roaming like any other international call. The toll free is within Canada. The foaming network fees alone need to be recouped nevermind profit margin for Koodo.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,910 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There are 3 main talk fees:

Minutes (airtime) - this applies regardless if a number is local or long distance or toll free (depending on your plan)

Long distance (when calling out of your zone) - this applies when calling outside of you local, provincial, or country (depending on your plan). For mobile phones, this would also apply when receiving calls outside of these zones. A toll free number would mean you can call these numbers without long distance charges even if the receiver is located outside of your zone. Toll free means long distance fee free.

Roaming - applies when you do anything on a network that is not the network that you are a customer with. These fees are very expensive. It's like using an atm machine that is for a bank that is not a bank that you are a customer with.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,960 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In many cases, no matter where the answering service is located, 8xx numbers are deemed as USA Area Code numbers for calling purposes. When travelling in another country using Easy Roam, you have included calling locally, and back to Canada. Since the 877 number you called is considered a US number, you paid US long distance fees from South America for the call. I believe, like Visa, MasterCard offers a direct dial Canadian number which you can call collect. This number would have attracted no fees in the instance you describe, even if you had not requested it be a collect call.