Can you freeze your plan with Koodo?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Can I freeze my plan for a certain amount of time and then keep my phone number? (I am in Europe for 12 months and want to keep my number for when I return)
Photo of Carolijn Mensing

Carolijn Mensing

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,424 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can do a seasonal hold for only up to 6 months a year at $15/month, but you will lose your plan and have to pick an in market one when it ends (or you're automatically placed on the cheapest one if you don't change it yourself).

I think the best thing to do is port your # out to a prepaid service which only requires a yearly top up, which most of the other providers do. It'll be $100 upfront but it will keep it active for the whole year. Just take the SIM with you and don't use it. Then port it back to Koodo when you return to Canada.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,324 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or port it to a VoIP service, and let your Canadian friends call you for almost free! It might cost you $25 for the year, and will be available to use in many ways.
Photo of Carolijn Mensing

Carolijn Mensing

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
That sounds great, but how do I get on it? The only Voip services I see are for (small) businesses.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,324 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
VoIP.ms is a popular Canadian supplier of very manageable VoIP services. It has been mentioned a number of times on this forum.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.