Can my Alcatel A392A phone be hacked?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I don't think it can, since it's not a smartphone, and, unless I'm mistaken, only smartphones can be hacked. What sez the community? BTW, can a phone be hacked remotely or does it have to be in the hacker's possession?
Photo of doggoneright

doggoneright

• 790 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Your device cannot be "hacked" If a device is hacked it can be done remotely yes or in possession.

I mean, anything with a data connection could most definetely be hacked. So i guess it does have potential to be hacked, But most likely a smart phone with apps and stuff would be the device to be hacked.
(Edited)
Photo of doggoneright

doggoneright

• 790 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
But I understand (maybe incorrectly) that anything electronic - even a car - can be hacked remotely. But when I asked about this at an Apple store I was told a phone can't be hacked remotely.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes devices can be hacked remotely. Its difficult as most likely the hacker has to be very close to "scan" the device or have touched it at one point. The chances are slim. Being rooted would be a prime example of being vulnerable. Downloading and installing apps and giving permissions to the apps is how most hacking is done now with phones
(Edited)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,648 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A lot of things need to happen first before it can be targeted for a hack.

Even A traditional car with no power locks or GPS or OnStar cannot be hacked without first need to pop the hood and installing some high tech remote control gadgetry or tagged to be followed.  

Anything with an RF signal (wifi, bluetooth, cell signal) could be hacked if an exploit is taken advantaged of or encryption is decoded.  This could mean if you dont lock your phone, installed malicious apps, kept your bluetooth on, connect to a false network etc you would be at higher risk.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/04/19/new-court-documents-reveal-stingray-surveillance-devices-have-been...

But if your phone is protected (passwords, etc) and secured, you are unlikely to be targeted to be hacked.  Any hack would be on a grander scale of data collection from possible government agencies.

If you are being targeted, then who knows.  But are you important enough to be targeted?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Anything electronic? That's quite a broad spectrum. I have an older refrigerator, I doubt there's any value in trying to hack that. Perhaps on newer 'smart' refrigerators maybe. Motives behind hacking include the ability to gain access to: personal information, espionage (stealing secrets), monetary rewards, disrupting the operation of or taking control of a device using brute force, albeit clandestinely.

You don't necessarily have to be the sole target either. The hackers’ goal could target a much larger audience where it could affect millions of people. On the other hand, the simple act of responding to an email from a sender you don’t recognize, or visiting a site that 'appears' legitimate and isn't, is another form of hacking, (phishing). Hackers can use phishing techniques in an attack with the objective of obtaining personal information which can help facilitate their break-in.

Not all hacking is meant to start global thermonuclear war, shut down the financial sector or spy on your every move. The term hacker is often used to describe benign tinkerers. Hackers may be employed by large software firms to test for and document security flaws. Most smartphones today have a robust set of security features built in. I’m not saying it’s impossible to hack a smartphone, but it had better be well worth the time and effort the hacker invests in doing so.
Photo of Jason Dyck

Jason Dyck

• 60 Points
yes a flip phone can be hacked my friend alcatel and it was acting up so he brought it in and it was reported hacked

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 89,270 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Although it is Easter & all that, there is no need to resurrect old threads.