Can I tether my alcatel a392a phone to my 15 year old Dell laptop?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I don't have the laptop in front of me but I wonder if I can tether my phone to it, to use the internet on the laptop.  I'm not thinking of using a great deal more data, only trying to use a language learning site somehow, which requires a computer or smartphone.  I can add more details about the laptop this weekend.  Just wondering if it's possible. 
Photo of doggoneright

doggoneright

• 790 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As long as your phone has a tethering ability in the settings you should be able to! Just be careful as tethering eats up ALOT more data than you would think and can get a bill thats utterly shocking very fast!
Photo of doggoneright

doggoneright

• 790 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't see any sign of tethering ability in the settings, but I might have missed it.  If I went to a koodo kiosk would they charge me for answering this question?!  In any case, do they sell tethering accessories?  Thanks.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

They shouldnt charge you to check to see if your phone can tether. But you can also youtube it, or google it. There is no tethering accessories. You would just be able to, or not be able to through your phones settings.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm not aware of any dumb phone being capable of tethering to be honest.
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,848 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm going to echo Goran, flip phones are meant to be used as calling and texting, that's it. Most people who have flip phones don't have data plans, leaving tethering as a rare need for these types of phones so it usually isn't included. 
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm reading through the owners manual for the Alcatel A392A and I'm not seeing anything written about tethering. This phone is a non-Android device and instead uses a proprietary operating system. If supported, tethering can be done one of two ways. The first is via USB cable. The second and not as fast, is through Bluetooth. If tethering is a necessity, you may want to upgrade to an Android device. Chadwick makes a very important point in that tethering consumes data very quickly.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Now, it doesn't necessarily have to burn through data quick, but desktop level websites require far more data to use, and program/OS updates can wreck you. Especially if you don't have 5+gb of data on your plan. If you are careful with preventing large downloads, you should be good. I'm going to assume that you, OP, don't, given that you have the A392A. I personally hot-spot occasionally with m phone for quick Internet use and it's not so bad, but I also have 6GB of data.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
One way to effectively track/monitor data consumption while tethered and using an Android device for example, would be to set a data limit of say 150 MB. When the data limit is reached, data automatically shuts off.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

Yeah that's a great way. I also use an app called Opera Max. It compresses internet browsing and files\videos so it uses alot less data. I was skeptical at first but its saved me a ton of data.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.