Can I tether from my Alcatel Go Flip phone to my laptop?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
If yes, where do I find this setting?
Thanks
Photo of Eli Wettenstein

Eli Wettenstein

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, you can, Eli. The user's manual does not discuss tethering in great detail, however, T-Mobile provides step-by-step tutorials that should get you up and running. In the setting titled 'Internet Sharing', you should be able to choose between setting up a hotspot (wirelessly sharing internet) or using a USB cable connected to your computer.

Wireless method
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-35616

Wired (USB) method
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-35636
(Edited)
Photo of Eli Wettenstein

Eli Wettenstein

Thanks.
But that's exactly the issue with my phone (purchased from Koodo), there isn't the option 'Internet Sharing'. 
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 69,640 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's probably a Koodo firmware issue. I have a T-Mobile unlocked LG G3 that has several features that the Koodo-supplied phones lack.

Midrange phones offered by Canadian providers tend to be built down to a price. The US market considers extra features to be more important.
(Edited)
Photo of Eli Wettenstein

Eli Wettenstein

Thanks

Will it help if I get Kodoo to unlock my phone and I use a sim card from a different provider?
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 69,640 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No. The software/firmware has to be installed on the phone in the first place. If the settings don't exist on your handset to begin with, a new SIM or provider is not going to make it magically appear. Conversely, even if your phone has some extra features that Koodo doesn't support for your particular model (VoLTE, WiFi calling, etc), you won't be any further advanced.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Interesting. The user manual for this phone, obtained through TELUS's phone support page, shows Internet Sharing via USB tethering as a feature of this device. Again, the details on how to set up this feature is scarce. (See page 40 - section 15.1.8).   

http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/get-help/device-pdf/go_flip_user_manual_FINAL-s.pdf

Acting on your behalf and according to the TELUS rep I spoke with in live chat, the rep instructed me to go to: Settings > Select the Network & Connectivity tab > Scroll to and select Internet Sharing. The rep also concurred that Internet Sharing is definitely a feature available on this device.
Photo of Eli Wettenstein

Eli Wettenstein

Thanks, I appreciate that!
When I go to: Settings > Select the Network & Connectivity tab - I don't find "Internet Sharing" ! Maybe I got a damaged device
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

That could be the issue and as Bob stated, it's sounding like a possible firmware problem. Another option is to verify that the phones' firmware is up-to-date, or if a pending firmware update is ready for download. To check, go to: Settings > Device > System Updates - select Update Firmware. A firmware update, if available, may solve the missing Internet Sharing option.