Can I Sell my phone I bought with the contract and buy a unlocked phone and use it with the same SIM card?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I bought an HTC one m8 with a contract but I want to get another phone. Would I be able to sell the phone and use my current Sim card in the new phone?
Photo of Jimmy


  • 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

  • 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jimmy,

Yes, As long as the new phone is either locked to telus/Koodo, or simply unlocked. Check to make the sure the phone isnt black listed. All you need to do is use the new phones IMEI in this website

Best of Luck
Photo of Tiz


  • 4,604 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Check also that frequencies mach Koodo frequencies
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

  • 142,636 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It also needs to use the same size sim card.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can buy a replacement SIM at a Koodo store and do the change in your account on self-serve if necessary. You can keep the current SIM in the phone to prove to the buyer that it works, but remove it before delivery.
Photo of JeremyESQ


  • 2,174 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Out of curiousity, how could a third-party buyer of a locked phone through Kijiji or Craigslist be protected? If the original owner of the phone fails to pay it off and/or falls past due to the phone company, would the phone company be able to brick the phone?
Photo of Melissa

Melissa, Employee

  • 11,748 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jeremy! When it comes to third party purchases, it's buyer beware. The phone company should not block the IMEI number of a phone if it's past due; however ,the SIM card/service will be suspended.  It's important to note that there's a risk of buying phone which was lost/stolen which means that the phone can be blacklisted.  Koodo will not be able to take the device off of the blacklist - only the original owner of the phone can do this through their mobile carrier.  Hope this info helps! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.