Can i order the Essential PH-1

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Off contract, No term, No $15.00 Sim card, Just the phone. I'm trying to get this exclusive phone, but i am not interested in using Kudo or Telus. I work for Bell, & i get applicable discounts on phone plans. If Bell offered this phone, i would be buying it from them, but it's a telus/kudo exclusive.
Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Exhausted. Telus has been giving me a runaround for 3 weeks.

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,722 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You have to buy it with a phone plan if you are not a current Koodo customer.
Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

I have been told by representatives of Essential that, if i go to a Koodo or Telus store, i would be able to buy the phone outright. This is also the case in the Source i work for, We often don't like to because we make no money off it, but we are able to do it. My problem, is that the Telus/Kudo store that i live near, is a Kiosk in a mall which is privatized & apparently isn't able to order phones without paying for a contract, which i suspect is a lie. they just don't want to.
Photo of You-Do-Not-Know-Who

You-Do-Not-Know-Who

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Koodo stores don't sell the phone. TELUS' outright price is $650.

Right now, you can buy it with a $360 Medium Tab from Koodo's website with a plan and a $15 SIM Card. Then cancel the line when you receive the phone. $375 + 1 day of service + tax. You are not going to get a better deal than that.
(Edited)
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

Koodo is selling phone at discounted prices to lure customers into their plans. I don't think they lied to you, it is the way the business goes.

The representative properly mentioned about the "outright prices" not Koodo devices on tabs as YDNKW mentioned.
Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

No. The essential representative specifically told me that Telus/Kudo stores would sell me the essential, unlocked and off contract if i went to a store. When i went to the privatized Kiosk in my mall, they visibly hesitated when i told them i wanted it unlocked, then they took my info, waited a couple of days (after maybe sending off an email) and then went and told my boss where i work that they couldn't get it for me.  I then went home and called the number i was given by a telus support member for their web-store support team, with which i sat on hold for over an hour, and then as soon as the clock struck 9:00 (their closing time) i heard someone pick up and hang up the phone immediately.  Then i emailed them on the address i was given by telus support, & they have yet to reply. I think it's safe to say i'm being lied to and screwed around with by Telus, because they do not want to sell me the phone. Essential is right now working on trying to find a way to get me the phone.They are bending over backwards, Telus is bending me over. Don't tell me what is what. I know when i'm being screwed over. Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,312 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Carriers purchase the units at wholesale and resell the units to customers so Essential has no say if a carrier sells you a phone outright or not so I'm not sure why Essential is telling you they have to sell a unit to you even if your not a customer and outright that's not their choice. Koodo will not sell you a phone if your not a customer (that has been their policy for ages now) Telus usually will but you will need to go to a corporate owed store not a reseller whivh I believe is what they told you did they not.
(Edited)
Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

Well, i'm not going to be driving 2 hours to visit a telus store. Too bad telus doesn't answer their phones at the web order call centre. Apparently they can sell me a phone outright, but last time i called it, i sat on hold for over an hour before i heard someone answer and hang up (because their hours elapsed while i waited.). Remember when customer service used to exist? Fuck telus, Fuck koodo. and Fuck any other sub brands of the same owners. This is bar none, the absolute worst customer service experience i have ever had in my life. they have lost any chance of my business, & i'm going to be purchasing a Pixel 2 from Bell now. Goodbye. & Paul. I sure hope koodo is paying you, because 180,642 points on this forum is pathetic if you're not making money. I'd say thanks for trying to help, but really all you did was try to reassure me that i wasn't being fucked with, which i was. So, No, thanks. Peace.
Photo of Stephen Kawamoto

Stephen Kawamoto

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Best buy dot com has an unlocked essential for sale ATM.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,342 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You do not know who, you will have to pay more than you are saying, I don't know where your getting you'd pay less than the outright price if your going to cancel the line that's not how it works. You'll have to pay the full amount outright price including any tab amount owing and any activation credits or gifts I'm full if cancelled withing 90 days of purchase.
(Edited)
SERIOUSLY? All you pay is the Tab balance. I told you just a day or two ago where I am getting it. Let me show you this time.

Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

Pass. I'd end up getting a locked phone & then when trying to call in to have them unlock it (which they will legally be required to do for free come December first) I'd end up on hold until their call centre closed again, & they'd just hang up on me.. again.... so, Thanks for the suggestion, but no. If i'm gonna have to deal with a headache to get this phone, it'll be before the thing is in my hands. I'm not about to fight to have some trash heap of a company unlock my $700 phone which would sit there useless until i get telus to get off it's ass and do work for one of it's customers.
Paul Deschamps, here is the official word from Koodo, thank Azure123 for posting in under another thread: https://twitter.com/koodo/status/688089655724511232
Photo of Jaiden Watling

Jaiden Watling

I love how Koodo thinks this question has been adequately answered. Fuck off. Good bye. You now have a Bell employee who sells Bell phones who has a personal grudge against a rival company.

Bet that won't come in handy when Telus customers come in & i tell them my personal experience with you guys. :)
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

Do you have a proper name and contact number of the people at Essential? so that someone else (other than yourself) could prove your idea of getting a phone without a plan with Koodo.
(Edited)

Stephen Kawamoto

You could have gotten an Essential for $375 but no, you didn't understand why you had to pay out your tab.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't expect this person to come back to read new posts.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jaiden,

Which "privatized Koodo" store did you go to? Is this an authorized Koodo Store? Currently, Koodo only offers the Essential Phone online-only. Just out of curiosity, as a Bell employee, can you sell me an LG V30 or an iPhone X outright without a Bell/Virgin account? As you maybe aware, since you work in the mobile industry. There are phones that cannot be sold outright without upgrading or activating a new account. I've known friends who wants to purchase a Sony Xperia phone from Bell/Virgin and got denied to but one outright. 

In terms of resellers, it is in their discretion to sell a phone outright. I've known someone who managed to buy a Galaxy S8+ from a Telus reseller. 
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Select Koodo authorized dealers and Bestbuy locations are currently carrying the essential phone.
The Essential Phone comes unlocked.
Ordering that phone, and then cancelling the line by porting out the number from Koodo would have taken you less time than writing all these posts.

The question has been more than adequately answered. I told you how you could get a $650 phone for $375. Then you decided to write: Fuck off. Good bye. Koodo sucks. I hate TELUS.

Does Bhell require people to be like this before hiring or do they train you to become like this?

FYI this is probably the first time I am defending Koodo on this community.
(Edited)
Photo of Harvinder Sangha

Harvinder Sangha

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I took it from Koodo today and when I put bell sim in it ,,it's not working ,sometime work but mostly time not work,,when call other number other person not hear ur voice ,,,,I don't know this phone is locked or not
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

It wasn't locked.
I would suggest you try to reset network settings and choose a good signal place to test all the scenarios of calling. It might be as well a problem with phone hardware.

Harvinder Sangha

I changed it from Koodo,,this is second phone ,,,I think it may be work with only Koodo and Telus ,,,,,

Harvinder Sangha

Now I put. Koodo sim in it ,,I didn't face any problem ,,,
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,544 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If the phone was locked to Koodo it wouldn't have worked at all with a Bell Sim in it. Plus it would have asked for an unlock code when it had the Bell Sim in it.

It isn't locked. Try what Dinh said about resetting the network settings.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

Did you try to reset the network settings as I mentioned above?

Harvinder Sangha

I try now
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If it's still not working try that Bell sim in another phone to see if the problem follows. Try any other non Koodo/ Telus sim as well to see if it too has issues. Make sure you know there is good reception wherever you are.
(Edited)

Stephen Kawamoto

The essential site didn't mention they sell it unlocked.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,314 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Scroll to almost the bottom of the page (after specifications) and you'll see where they mention the phone is sold unlocked.

https://www.essential.com/

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.