Can I just buy out the essential phone online through the koodo store as a bring your own device?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I would swap the sim with the device I have now on bring your own device which is a Samsung galaxy s6 edge. The store wants $510 for the essential phone but online it is $460. I want to pay less obviously lol. The online store wants me to add a plan when I go to check out.
Photo of Justen

Justen

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 94,482 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did you log in to your self-serve account and select that you want to get a new phone rather than add a new line?
Photo of Justen

Justen

Did that exactly.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 38,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Justen,
I would go with the store. It is less hassle and you could avoid the trouble of shipping, credit card payment.. You also need to buy a new SIM ($15) with a new line (free on upgrade) online, I believe.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,874 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Did you try to go all the way through to the point you have to pay, I know I thought it was making me choose a plan when I just ordered a phone but then got to a point where it gave me an option to keep my current plan.
Photo of Justen

Justen

Will try and see what happens. Thanks
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,944 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Doesnt it only give you the option to keep current plan only if that plan is still available to all? I thought thats how it worked anyway.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,874 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nope mine (well my fathers) was an old grandfathered plan from years ago.
(Edited)
Photo of Justen

Justen

You were right worked just fine. Kept plan and just ordered the phone. Thanks for your help I should have looked closer the first time lol