Can I get the $5 for 100 while in the US outgoing texts with a prepaid phone? If so, how? I live in Canada.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
How can I text in the US with a prepaid phone?
Photo of Wendy Rehberg

Wendy Rehberg

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,888 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately you can not roam with prepaid...
Photo of Wendy Reh

Wendy Reh

• 70 Points
Thank you Robert! Can I say that it's really not fair?! lol. They don't tell you these things when you sign up. May I ask how you get points and what they're for?
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,758 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's on the Wanna Know more section.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

Also points are for fun.  No monetary value
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 91,244 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The only work around while using prepaid is to use a voip texting app that lets you text for free with a number given and be connected to wifi. Or get a local sim.
Photo of Wendy Reh

Wendy Reh

• 70 Points
Thanks Goran! I advised her to download a free texting app which should help. I didn't realize that some features weren't available for prepaid users or I may have considered a monthly plan. Rather annoying.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,198 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's common for prepaid users of all carriers not to be able to roam, even domestically. In the US, carriers often have separate coverage maps for prepaid and postpaid accounts.

Other services you won't commonly see on prepaid are call forwarding and premium texting to a short code.

These limitations are due to the fact that such services are paid for by Koodo to outside suppliers without knowing in advance what the charges will be. Post-paid customers have gone through a credit check while prepaid customers have not.

Goran's solution is the only viable work-around. On the Android side, I have successfully used TextFree  by Pinger where no mobile service is available at all, though after a while the ads get annoying.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.