BYOD - Galaxy Note 4 SM-910W8 only shows WCDMA/GSM

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
I have recently purchased a shock-free 6GB data plan with Koodo, and my Galaxy Note 4 (Android version 6.0.1) is stuck on 3G. I have checked and double checked the APN settings and nothing changes. I can force it to use LTE, but then I am not able to make/receive phone calls. 

Can anyone tell me if this is a problem with Note 4 or is it service related?

Thank you very much for your help. 
Photo of Sina Lahsaee

Sina Lahsaee

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 86,136 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is it a Koodo supplied phone, or one bought offshore?
Photo of Sina Lahsaee

Sina Lahsaee

The phone was purchased here in Toronto, from my previous provider, Wind/Freedom. Their APN was automatically erased when the switch was completed.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 86,390 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It does have the proper LTE bands so not sure what's up. You can reset network settings in backup and reset and see if that helps it'll delete WiFi and BT credentials saved.
Photo of Sina Lahsaee

Sina Lahsaee

Goran, thank you for your reply. I tried that as well, still have no idea what's happening. From Koodo coverage map, I seem to be in an area where everything should be available. I live in Toronto, so there shouldn't be any reason why LTE cannot be available, in my opinion.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,442 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Does it still have the Wind Software on it? I THINK they disable other LTE bands in their software. I’m not 100% on that though.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 86,390 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's possible they did it on some phones but I haven't had that happen to any Wind / Freedom phones I've used yet.
Photo of Cory

Cory

Just did some googling. LTE has in fact been disabled in the software.

I found a post on changing your carrier code to Telus/Koodo, and the LTE option should reappear.

Note: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE. BACK EVERYTHING UP FIRST!!

Go to your phone dialer and type: *#272*[IMEI]#

[IMEI] is the devices 15 digit IMEI number. When the boot load screen comes up, choose the 3 letter code representing your carrier:

TLS = Telus / Koodo
RWC = Rogers Wireless Corporation / FIDO
BMC = Bell Mobility Corporation
GLW = Globalive Wireless / WIND Mobile
(Edited)
Photo of Cory

Cory

Before that, i would try dialing *#2263* and changing the network selection to [1]Automatic.
Photo of Sina Lahsaee

Sina Lahsaee

I tried *#2263# and Switched it to automatic. Now, whenever I try and make a call it will switch to 3G, otherwise it will stay on LTE
Photo of Cory

Cory

That is perfect. That’s what it is supposed to do, as Koodo doesn’t support VoLTE at the moment.