Buying a phone

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
What needs to be brought in when coming to buy a phone? I do not have a license, just health card and SIN. No bank account either....Should I get my mom to come with me or just have someone who has their license with me? I am 21.
Photo of Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones

  • 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

  • 60,848 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jessica,

You will need to have a piece of photo identification with you. A Canadian passport will work.

Here are a few other IDs that are acceptable:
Foreign Passport
Work Visa
Department of Defence ID
Permanent Resident Card
Native Canadian Status Card
Provincial/Territorial ID card.

Note: Health cards are not acceptable forms of identification. If you do not have any of the above, you will need to apply for your provincial identification card and wait to receive it. To get an account in your name, you need to have valid photo ID.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

  • 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
SIN is fine but you'll need photo ID aside from health card to activate. The list above is comprehensive of which ones will work.

If you don't want to or can't get a driver's license, consider getting your province's equivalent photo ID card. It works exactly like a driver's license for ID purposes.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.