Buy a phone on sale on tab, pay off tab?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I like the phone sales right now but hate the available plans. If I buy the Pixel 2, on sale right now, with a tab large, could I then pay off the balance of the tab, own the phone, and cancel the tab large plan, having saved myself $400 on the phone? Or would they make me pay retail price to cancel? Also, would the taxes owed be based on that tab amount or the retail amount? Thanks!
Photo of JM

JM

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,172 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@JM: if you want to do so (registering for a Tab large to get the phone), you need to cancel the plan. They will send you the bill later. You only pay the Tab and few days of service on that plan.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 23,730 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I dont think you can just cancel the plan and pick a new one if thats what you mean. You would have to cancel the account or that line on the account. If you do cancel, the taxes would be on the tab amount.
Photo of JM

JM

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yeah I mean like if I pay off the entire tab then I own the phone and I no longer have a tab. Then can I just switch to a plan that I actually like? And at this point I would own the phone and pick a plan without a tab, meanwhile still getting the sale deal on the phone? I know it's sneaky but hey, consumer does what is best for consumer.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,048 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you keep with Koodo for 90 days then you can pay off the tab and switch. Theres loopholes of course but that's the "proper" way.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 108,656 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Google will be your best friend for finding those loopholes. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.