bought the lumia 950xl dual sim, only one sim can function at a time

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
bought the lumia 950xl dual sim, only one sim can function at a time.... is this a problem with Koodo? both cards are active, i've tested both the phone is new....
Photo of Omatshola Ekperigin

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,848 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Omatshola,

The Lumia 950XL uses what is called Dual Standby-SIM, which requires you to specify which SIM you want to be using at any given time. So there is no way to use both SIMs simultaneously, to do that you will need to get a phone that can support Dual Active-SIMs.
(Edited)
I have found out both SIMs are "active" but one is limited to 2G... as a way to save battery life.... if that line gets active(make/receive calls etc) then it works on 4G/LTE strength and the other one switches to 2G... only rogers has 2G in Canada I would have to switch to Rogers if I need this function
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Most dual sim phones are like that, where the secondary is limited to 2G. I believe it's pretty rare to have dual sim phones that can run HSPA or better for both sims.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In fact, I've never seen a dual-SIM phone with both slots allowing for simultaneous 3G connection. One always defaults to 2G.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Neither have I, but I can't say for sure that simultaneous 3G doesn't exist, so I opted with "it's rare." Let's go with unheard of and don't expect it to be a thing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.