billing confusion

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
i cancelled my account on October last year 2014. I paid my outstanding balance at that time. 6 weeks later i got a new monthly charge on my credit card. I called my credit card and showed them the document that i got from Kodo acknowledging my cancellation. the dispute of the charge was raised with Kudo who had 45 days to prove i owed them any money. Kudo never responded so the charge was reversed.

now in March 2015 Kudo has turned my account for $62 over to a collection agency. the people at the collection agency were actually really nice and asked me to call Kudo as they figured it was a mistake.

I called Kudo and the man on the other side was anything but helpful. He even suggested i take Kudo to court! He told me there was nothing Kudo could do and to call the collection agency. I did again - they said call Kudo

this is crazy!

any recommendations on what to do with this madness?
Photo of Bernard Pearson

Bernard Pearson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What you should have done in the first place was call Koodo first, not your CC company and immediately dispute it. That was your first mistake.

Koodo and any cell phone company will pretty much automatically send you to collections if you try and dispute a charge. Which they're legally allowed to.

The day you cancelled, it would not have been possible for you to pay off your entire outstanding balance as you need to wait until the billing cycle ends for that to happen and for one final bill to come out. Which is what looks like what happened, and you were on preauth so your CC was charged. You most likely did truly owe that charge and disputing it with your CC company is technically, first of all, fraud and second, doesn't mean you don't owe Koodo the money and if they believe you owe them that money it can still be sent to collections. What happened after you dispute the charge is that Koodo sent it to collections as they believed you owed them that money and if I was at Koodo I would think you were trying to get away without paying your final balance. Technically they were in the right to send you to collections if my assumptions based on your post are correct.
Photo of Bernard Pearson

Bernard Pearson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
thanks but when i cancelled the lady i spoke to at Koodo made sure with me that what was owed was cleared off the books as it was the end of the cycle and my bill was almost ready to be sent out.

we made sure it was all cleared off - my average monthly bill was $47 and change (I almost never used it which is why i cancelled it) I then paid for what i was left - she calculated as i spoke to her on the phone - that was $15 and change, that was paid - because it was before the cycle was complete

she told me it was clear

if they felt they had a case why did they not send the documents to the CC to show it?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No mistake made on your part Bernard, you've paid your balance in full and you have the documentation to prove it. Naturally, you're going to call your credit card company to investigate because you no longer have any dealings with Koodo.

I'm not seeing any evidence of fraudulent activity and it wouldn't be that hard to prove if that were the case. The bill was paid in full and cleared by Koodo and that's where it should have ended. Koodo was given 45 days to dispute the charge and didn't. My advice to anyone else going through this sort of situation is to get all correspondence in writing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.