Billed twice for data

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
why am i being billed twice for my data. I changed my plan on nov 11 and when i get my bill I am being charged for my new plan which gives me data and i am being charge an extra $50 for data ehich is covered in my new plan
Photo of Tavis Saito

Tavis Saito

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you changed your plan in the middle of the cycle, the usage charge would be from the old plan. Once the new plan is in effect, it does not soak up the overages that were part of the old plan's limits for data.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 105,020 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is kind of weird indeed to get charged 50$ for data only. Can you screenshot us the portion of the bill where this is show?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,380 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you go over your data before you change your plan you will be charged D for the data overage you can't just move up to the next plan to cover the overage you've already went over. This could explain the high charge for data
Photo of Tavis Saito

Tavis Saito

Photo of quasarito

quasarito

• 9,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Did you use data BEFORE you switched over to the new data plan? If yes, then you are being charged for pay-per-use data. I do not know what your pay-per-use rates are but $51.04 indicates to me that you are on a very old pay-per-use data tier.

If your data overage occurred after your switch to the new plan, than your data usage fees should be a multiple of $5 because your new plan charges you in increments of $5 for every 250MB over your limit. Clearly $51.04 is NOT a multiple of $5. This indicates to me that the data you used occurred BEFORE the plan switch.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,380 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's what she said..... I mean what I said ;-)
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 141,312 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The old pay per use data rates with no data plan would have been $3/mb for the first 5 mb, plus $0.05/mb for each additional mb. By this formula, $51 would translate to 725 mb under the old plan, which, based on your total of 864 mb for the full month, seems reasonable for the first 23 days.
Photo of Tavis Saito

Tavis Saito

yes i am awae of that. I am paying for some of the month on my super old data tier. and some fo the month on my new plan i just find it extemely hard to believe that I was able to accumulate 50 dollars of data in the few day at the beginning of the period before my new plan kicked in. What i believe happened was they just never turned off the data rate from my old plan and charged me the whole month with my old data rate, regardless that i was paying for my new plan as well
Photo of quasarito

quasarito

• 9,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Further down in your bill (after page 3), you should see a section for Data and Other Services that details the data usage you have incurred. It should also provide the breakdown of the 864.7MB that you seem to have used. That should tell you whether you have been improperly billed for data or not.

According to your screenshot, your new plan was active on Nov.4. Check and see how much data you used BEFORE Nov.4 when you were on your old plan. Also keep in mind that your billing cycle resets on the 12th of each month. Since your new plan became active on Nov.4, the data usage between Nov. 4th and Nov. 11th would be pro-rated with your new plan -- so you would be given approximately 50MB of data for that 1-week before your billing cycle reset for the next period.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 105,020 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you new to Koodo?

If you answered yes, then you paid "double" as you said because of proration.

What is proration?

Because you are new to Koodo, you joined on Nov 4, but the billing period started in October. Therfore, in order to cover the costs for november 4th to 11th, you needed to pay 7/30 of you current plan (10.67$) + the next month (40$)

Why proration?

Because if you look on your bill you paid for 1month + 7 days. Being new to Koodo, you paid for the 7 days of he previous month in order to be able to enter the billing cycle that everyone is.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.