Being charged way to much, not honoring prior plans

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
My billing cycle ends on the 6th of every month, i changed my rate plan on the 9th on may, due to some issues but on my previous plan i had 1000 air time min.....i was charged for all minutes after only usin 100....im getting really upset as my bills had major issues over the last 2 months. The reason i changed my plan was because i went over my air time....fine....but on that plan that i have had since 2015 i had the family wide calling (which included 3 of the numbers i was charged for) i was told that it was no longer offered....but i feel like it should have been honored considering my plan was set up when it was offered....i was charged 1000$....delt with it...but now (new month) and im being charged another 144$ for airtime over 100 min when i had 1000 min on my old plan, im very unhappy and am very much considering switching providers as this is far!!!!! To expensive
Photo of Catharine Mcbride

Catharine Mcbride

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,792 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Catharine,
It was hard to figure out your actual plans from your sentences. Plans normally includes data, and that is more expensive than minutes. What plan did you have before, and what plan are you having now? Koodo still have family calling as long as those number are in the same accounts.

How come you were charged $1000? $1000 can buy you unlimited minutes plans for many months.
(Edited)

Catharine Mcbride

I had a 60$ 4 gig shock free plan which included 1000 canada wide min, unlimited canada wide family calling, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited txt. Which i have had since 2015, i had been told that 3 of the numbers i call on a regular basis were part of my family plan but i was charged for all of them ( i went over my 1000 min...by 1000 min) so 2000 min which is why i was charged so much on my last bill. But my new plan is 65$ 3 gig, unlimited calling, messaging etc....but again i have been charged 144$ this billing cycle for air time...which is not okie.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,630 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you checked your pdf bill in your selfserve? $144 could be for 2 months  (if you didn't pay the previous bill) or some overage charges.

Carriers should provide detail billing for customers, that should show in your bill. I would suggest you check the page 3 of your pdf bill in selfserve.
(Edited)

Catharine Mcbride

Yes i did, it is this billing cycle that ive been charged for
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,110 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is it possible the $144 is from before you changed your plan? You PDF invoice will provide details.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,630 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Catharine: they cannot increase your rateplan. I would sugges you check your bill again.

Can you post a snapshot the page 3 of your PDF bill in selfserve? Delete all your personal information before posting pls.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 200,866 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like pro-ration to me.
If you Plan ends on the 6th, meaning it starts on the 7th you had it until the 9th and went over your minutes and then changed to a new plan.  This means your plan and minutes are pro-rated from the 7th-9th. Meaning your overage is even worse.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 31,326 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
David is correct, Catherine. Your bill cycle runs from the 6th to 5th of each month. Since you only changed your plan on May 9, your latest bill doesn't reflect this change, and since you always get charged a month in advance, it will show the full charge for your plan.

Your next bill will reflect the changes, and show pro-rated (partial) charges for your previous plan for the few days that you used it, as well as partial charges for the new plan, since it wasn't used for an full billing period. That should help clarify things.. however, keep in mind that there's also still a balance being carried forward from before. So if that doesn't get settled prior to your next bill being issued, those charges will be on there as well.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Catharine Mcbride

Yes i 100% understand that, in self serve it says i used 100/100 air time min....but my plan prior to may 9th included 1000 min, from may 6th to may 9th i have been charged 144 for air time

Catharine Mcbride

But between may 6th and may 9th my plan included 1000 airtime min....which as you can see....i have been charged for, if i call can it be sorted out?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Yeah, no. Minutes are prorated across the month, so for the three days of the month, you only have 1000/30*3 minutes or about 33 minutes per day, or 100 for the period.

The usual suggestion here is to switch your plan at the end of the billing cycle, so you have access to all your minutes.
(Edited)

Catharine Mcbride

Thanks for the info it was a koodo rep that got me to change my plan....did not mention this at all would not have changed it when i did if i had known now my bill is 1144....im cancelling both phones and switching providers. But thank you at least now i know
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Other providers systems work the same way, so be sure to choose a plan that meets your needs, else you could find yourself in the same predicament.