Battery on samsung galaxy s2x doeant last long

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
The battery on my phone doesn't last long at all I'm down 50% in like 3-4 hours and all I'm doing is listening to music.... I only charge my battery when it's below 20% too and I have only had this phone for like 2 months, any ideas? I close all programs I'm not using too, but and have it on half brightness and 15 second lock.
Photo of Landon

Landon

• 580 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

• 10,050 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Could be something causing a wakelock. And funny you mention music... corrupt mp3s can cause the android media server a wakelock to end all wakelocks.

Download Gsam batter monitor from the market place, let it run for the day (or atleast from when its at 100 percent charge to 15) and see what is eating all your juice

I'm willing to bet media server will be near the top.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

link to gsam on the market place

https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...
Photo of Daryl Martin

Daryl Martin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
i do not listen to music on my phone, i talk for a brief time and the battery dies
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Now, if it happens that media server is near the top of the applications eating your juice... They're different schools of thought on how to deal with the issue. But in reality, the best bet is to take all mp3's or other music files off your phone. There are programs you can use to search for corrupt mp3 tags and such on windows, but I haven't used any personally so I can't recommend any.

If media server is still wakelocking after getting rid of all your mp3s, a ring tone maybe causing it. Hell, wallpaper can cause media server to wakelock. It's a real crap shoot, and Google really should do something about it.

But they haven't yet. So if doing all that doesn't track it down, the easiest thing to do is a factory reset. That way, anything that could be causing media server to wakelock is gone

After the factory reset, start moving your music on to your phone in small chunks. Let the phone run for a good bit. Check to see if mediaserver is wakelocking. If it isn't, move on, add another chunk of music on. Check to see if mediaserver is wakelocking... etc etc. If mediaserver does start to wakelock at any point, you know the offending file is in that small chunk you just ported over. So delete that chunk and start porting the files in that chunk one at a time.

It's a very tedious process, but it's how it's gotta go down. Older versions of android would just not list any music if there was even one corrupt media file. I think I liked that better....
Photo of Landon

Landon

This is what it says, ill post down below
Photo of Landon

Landon

The screenshot
Photo of samsvoc

samsvoc

• 7,686 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
A cousin of mine has the S2X with similar issues. He installed the free juice defender app and turned off all apps that weren't needed at the time. He tells me his battery life increase about 20-25%. I'm sure there are other tweets that can be done to improve battery life. Don't forget, if you're in weak signal area, your phone will crank up the power to keep a strong signal.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Yeah, Juice defender is alright. Gsam is a good first step though regardless. Shows you where your juice is going, and on what specific processes.

I recommend it for any android user regardless of the phone.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,566 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Anything that a battery app can do can be done manually. I have seen worse battery life from the them because I already do everything manually that they do & its just another app running in the background. If you don't want to do those things manually then they can be beneficial yes.
Photo of Landon

Landon

Photo of Landon

Landon

Doesnt seem strange that musics only 11%, but the rest of the battery is on screen which is 28% and i only use the half brightness thing so idk
Photo of Paul Deschamps

No matter what brightness level you put it on above like a quarter its going to draw a major part of your battery.
Turn off all your location settings like gps, location & Google search network
Turn your screen below half, as close to a quarter power as possible.

You should also let your battery drain fully & charge fully every few charging cycles
When you first get the phone you should always charge & drain it fully for the first 3 charges.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Oh have you updated the phones OS since you've had it? If so was it from gingerbread to ICS?
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

That does seem a bit drastic. If you click on system, how long does it say it was wake locked for?

Also, whats the time the screen was active for that period?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

If you did update the phones software from gingerbread to ICS then charge your battery to full power & then do a factory reset. Then drain battery fully and charge fully the first 2 times after that & I guarantee you'll have better battery life, how much better I'm not sure but Quite a bit.
Photo of samsvoc

samsvoc

• 7,686 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What's the point in having a smartphone if we turn off all the smart features? :-) Current technology doesn't allow for great battery life.
Lithium ion/polymer batteries don't need to be discharged. They need to be topped up and should never be made to run down. The older NiCd batteries need to fully discharge but you won't find those in cell phones today.
Photo of Cast

Cast

• 12,740 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Samsvoc is actually correct here. It's better to keep the phone plugged in when possible. It won't damage the battery. If the battery completely dies, that can damage the life span of the battery.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

The running down of the battery actually has nothing to do with the battery itself. People say the process is conditioning the battery, when in fact you're actually conditioning the ROM to report the correct life remaining.

It's almost impossible to actually kill a modern Lithpo battery. They're fail safes built in. Like you said, if you actually kill it, you damage it.

There is merit to after either upgrading android or installing a new rom to "Condition the Battery". Even after X amount of time of plugging and charging when you can, and not charging to %100 everytime can cause the OS to misreport the life remaining.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showt...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Exactly thanks for explaining it Aaron. I'm just giving my personal experience & the info of every single website on earth so I guarantee its 100% correct
Photo of Landon

Landon

Wait so your saying its not the battery thats gets worse, its the rom that misreports it? Or the battery does get worse but can never completely die?
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Well I mean yes, after time the battery gets worse, but that takes quite a few charges and discharges to get to that point. I've yet to physically kill a phone battery.

Usually you'll see a bigger impact from the software not estimating the battery life remaining.
Photo of Landon

Landon

Wait so if it estimates the battery wrong, there could still be charge left in it but it shuts off?
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

that's right
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

also, if the phone could say its charged, when in reality it could fit in a few more percent. in.
Photo of Landon

Landon

Thats dumb, i dont even know how to install new rom or do whatever to make it back to normal
Photo of Paul Deschamps

When you install a new version of Android make sure you charge the battery to full and have the device plugged in before you update. If you haven't then charge to full & do a factory reset while it's plugged in.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Anyway, just to give some idea, here's some screen shots of my SII X running Slimbean 3.0 without any init.d tweaks.

I'm now running Slimbean 3.1 with certain init.d tweaks, which has seen a battery improvement. I'll try and remember to grab some screen shots next time my battery gets low.

Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I've done this and it works
Photo of John Lee

John Lee

• 36,724 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My mom had a similar problem as well. But after she turned off most applications from the "multitasking" and kept on doing that repeatedly; the battery life was fine. Also, the Samsung Galaxy S2X is getting old now so I guess the battery doesn't last as long now.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Buy a new battery, the age of the device has nothing to do with battery longevity.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wipe the battery stats (root required and latest cwm recovery) whenever I flash a new ROM, this is the best way to calibrate the ROM to the battery.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.