are analog phones going to stop working in 2014

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
i went to the store with my phone and he told me it was an analog phone that was going to stop working in 2014 is that true
Photo of Dennis Watts

Dennis Watts

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 141,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, I am afraid so, Dennis, the old analogue network is finally going to be retired. You can get a nice new phone though for as little as $99 (smartphone) or even less if all you need is calling... it might be time for you to upgrade by next year :)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,168 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can find some details here:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/tel...
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Edit: though I believe it won't be until 2015, not 2014.
Oops you beat me to it, Dennis - the other Dennis, gah, this could get confusing quickly :)
(Edited)
Photo of Myke

Myke

• 45,090 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The phone will still work, it just wouldn't have service.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,704 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, I meant after 2015. You can make the 911 call without service provider now, so I guess it doesn't matter from an analog phone or regular phone?
Photo of Myke

Myke

Think of it like this. CDMA phones aren't connected to a network when it's not on an account. It can still call 911. I suspect the same be applied to the above situation.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Ok not being stubborn BUT currently the CMDA network is still in place... however it won't be from 2015 onwards (or so I assume). Now... how can an analogue phone connect to anything if there is no analogue receiver to receive it? 

Or am I completely dense? (happens all the time, hee hee) Please explain :D
Photo of Myke

Myke

To the best of my knowledge, Emergency Services still operate on an Analog signal(analog as a public service is pretty much gone). So even if Telus does remove the CDMA network, it's basically only to remove it from public use.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Gotcha, thanks Myke. I think I understand... 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.