Are SIM's for new accounts pre-activated?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hi. I signed up for a monthly plan last week and received the activation email on Sunday, July 1. I hadn't yet received the SIM card in the mail, but I had a spare SIM that a family member received when she purchased a new phone from the Koodo web store. (She continued to use her existing SIM with her new phone.)

I contacted Koodo on Sunday, and a helpful rep activated the spare SIM with the temporary phone number assigned to my account. I was then able to port the number from my old provider in my self serve account. All worked perfectly.

I received the SIM card originally shipped to me via Canada Post today. I'm wondering if this SIM card is pre-activated. If it is, should I destroy it because I'm already using the spare SIM mentioned above? If it's not activated, should I keep it as a spare? Is it even possible to know if a SIM is pre-activated?

I have several family members who will be moving to Koodo, and some may eventually purchase new phones.

Thanks for your help.
Photo of DaveyDave

DaveyDave

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Mats

Mats

• 24,950 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Being a new customer the sim probably was activated. Once you activated the spare sim that was given to you then that would have deactivated the other sim being mailed to you. So it cant be used again.

Any purchased phones from Koodo will come with a new sim.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 201,128 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You could switch back to that deactivated sim for up to 90 days.  After that, it is fully dead
Photo of DaveyDave

DaveyDave

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the info.