Anybody know of a good solar charger?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Has anyone found a good solar charger for smart devices? those that normally charge via usb cables.

For example, ebook, smartphone, tablet, cameras, etc
Photo of justin

justin

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

• 32,056 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there... I know it may take some days before you get it, but if you look for POWER TUBE at ebay.ca you will find a couple with excellent prices, some of them come with flashlight and you can charge anything from your cell to your laptop, digital camera, tablet, etc...
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

• 4,090 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
There's a sale on solar chargers at the Cellphoneshop, but time is running out. 72% off and free shipping. If you're interested, the link is here:
http://ca.cellphoneshop.net/solar.html
Photo of justin

justin

wow, that is a good deal
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There's always a wide selection of solar chargers at Canadian Tire, in the automotive section. Sometime they have some incredible deals, you should check them out.
Photo of justin

justin

Tks, I do have the smallest solar panel from CTire, but it's too big to fit into my already stuffed backpack that i'll probably crack it. I love CTire though, I can spend all day there...!
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
won't it be in the widow of the car? strap it to the outside of your backpack & catch some rays while your walking lol.
Photo of justin

justin

That's awesome! Thank you.

Has anyone had any real success with them? If so, which one was it you used?
I am going on a trip and won't have access to plug in wall charging. So, any help would be most welcome?
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

I haven't use an solar chargers. Will you have access to a cigarette lighter type 12v plugin? If so, a cheap 12v to USB might be another option. They can be found almost anywhere that sells electronics or car accessories.
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

Or maybe something like this, that has a battery that charges off solar, then you can use stored power to charge your device. Says it gives a .5-1A output, and a battery capacity of 1350mAh, which probably isn't as big as your cell battery, but better than nothing.

http://www.dinodirect.com/solar-charg...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,566 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hey Iglooman, I don't know if you know but you don't have to put multiple posts you can tap or hover over on your answer & an edit & delete option will pop up on the top right hand corner of your answer & you can edit it or add additional info instead of making multiple posts like above. Just noticed you have been putting multiple posts in a row everywhere so I don't think you know about this.
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

Ah, I had noticed others doing it, like in you in your BB thread, and figured it was more of a notification thing in case the OP or subscribed posters had checked the thread since the first post. After doing more research in a different area, which of course takes time, I didn't know if the OP had come back and seen the info I first posted or not. I have edited fresh posts, but not stale posts that have a good chance of being viewed already. Just following the examples I've seen in reading.
Photo of justin

justin

Yes. Thats great! Tks for the suggestions everyone. I have a few aux power packs like energizer to go but it never seems seems like enuf. I always tend to bring too many toys on a roadtrip. Gonna try a few solar chargers before my trip unless anyone suggests one that they like.
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

No worries, enjoy your road trip! If you find one that works really well, share it, because in the business I'm in, people always bring too many toys for a trip to the wilderness. Now our houseboats have a 12v system they can jack into, but for those wanting other options, it's always nice to have a tested recommendation. :)
Photo of justin

justin

tks iglooman
Photo of justin

justin

I just ordered a solar charger/ power pack directly from an Ottawa based company called KIWI CHOICE INC. Its supposed to hold a charge for 6 months, has a flashlight, magnets to hold it open, and 11 tips for different devices. I picked the white one so it wouldn't melt in the hot sun, if we ever get any. LOL. It was pricey albeit, but the main decision was it's portability and 2000 mah capacity. I'll post my review after my trip!

http://www.kiwichoice.com/portable-ch...
Photo of justin

justin

Okay, here's some feedback from the U-powered solar charger purchased directly from KIWICHOICE :

http://www.kiwichoice.com/portable-ch...

I just came back from a camping roadtrip from one of the gulf islands on the "Wet"
Coast and guess what? I actually lucked out with a couple of days of continuous sunlight, which is currently a rare thing in Victoria, BC.

I had pre-charged the solar charger before my trip using my own USB wall charger, as per the instructions for the first charge, which took approximately 10 hours. For my trip, I brought with me my HTC One S, my ebook, and my Nexus 7 tablet. All of these devices were fully charged when I left, as I didn't know what to expect from this solar charger, and I left all OE wall chargers at home to really put this solar charger to the test.

After 2 1/2 days, my HTC was at 5% and I figured, of all the "necessary" devices I brought with me, my phone was most important, being my only connection with the rest of the world, other than smoke signals. LOL.

Plugged the U-powered charger in with the micro USB connector that came with 10 others, and in 2 hours, my battery was almost full. So far so good....

The battery in the U-powered still had some charge left and I decided to use it to power a USB gooseneck light when the sun went down. I don't know how long it powered the light as I fell asleep but it essentially exhausted the charge. The next morning, I taped the charger to one of the outer panels of my tent in the open fan position (like in the picture above) to expose all solar panels to the sun before I went on a bike ride. The panels were kept at a 25 degree angle as it was the best I could do on the sloping face of a tent, being propped up by a shoe. Instructions called for 12 degrees, but the green charge light was already lit, so I figured it was enough.

To my surprise, when I came back 3 hours later, 2 of the 4 blue charge indicator lights were already lit and blinking. As this looked promising, I left the panel to charge further and joined my buddies for some fishing. A few empty beer bottles and an empty fish bucket later, approx 4 hours, I returned to camp and the sun was nowhere in sight, but after pressing the charge status button, the same 2 charge lights were still blinking. The charger was essentially half charged from being left in direct sun for approximately 7-8 hours. I was impressed, as this was better than what other users had experienced and reported online. I decided to continue its charge the next day and by late afternoon, all 4 charge lights came on.

I am happy to report that this charger does what it claims. I had a full charge after exposure to direct sunlight for approx. 16 hours over a 2 day span. Being my first solar charger experience, I think that's quite acceptable. As usual, I brought devices that I didn't use on my trip, but most importantly, I was able to keep my HTC, which was my only means of communication, fully charged for my 4 day trip using natural, free energy. It folded up easily for storage and fit in my jacket pocket without noticeable weight, and the tips that came with it, would've charged essentially all the devices that were brought by everyone else on that trip, including ipods and such.

Thanks again for all your solar charger suggestions, I had an awesome time and got to test out a pretty cool little charger, while being environmentally green at the same time!
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,566 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great review Justin, if I ever need a solar charger I'll definitely be checking that one out.
Photo of Iglooman

Iglooman

Looks like a great charger! Makes me thing I should have something like that in my boat or available for rent to houseboat customers for their devices. Thanks for the review, and look forward to hearing if you have the same experience!
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

• 2,344 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I've tried one from Canadian Tire and I left the charger in full daylight last summer and it managed to give my phone about a 50% charge. I could never seem to get a full charge out of it but at least it gave me some :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.