Android update to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for Samsung Galaxy S2X T989D!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Thanks for the Android update to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for Samsung Galaxy S2X T989D!
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

• 584 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Yannick

Yannick

• 43,998 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome, Brad! Enjoy :)
Photo of Jagjit Singh Bedi

Jagjit Singh Bedi

• 60 Points
hi,
my phone is unable to upgrade from kies as it shows some administrative rights? how do i update my phone?
Photo of Praise Murwisi

Praise Murwisi

• 60 Points
Do not use kies to update you samsung galaxy s2x t989D ! It caused my phone to corrupt and say "firmware upgrade enquired an issue. Please go to kies and try again", In the end we had to go pay and get it fixed. DO NOT USE JIES TO UPGRADE
Photo of Shirazali Nanji

Shirazali Nanji

• 60 Points
Just updated my s2x t989d to 4.1.2 using kies without any problem.
Photo of mani singh

mani singh

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
how???? plz tell me
Photo of Benoit Lafortune

Benoit Lafortune

• 60 Points
Why is Kites telling me that it cannot update my phone because of the IT policies?
Photo of Prajna Surya

Prajna Surya

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
How do I get the update? Will it be sent OTA?

You see: My SIIX has never been able to connect to Kies from day 1, always showing the error "Device not supported by Kies 2.0". And the "Check for Update" option is also missing on the Phone Status screen.

It seems both of these problems have been mentioned before either here or elsewhere on-line. Any solution?
Photo of Curt Christensen

Curt Christensen

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
To update mine and get it to connect to kies. I had to back up and save all data through usb mass storage. the factory reset my devicebefore kies would connect
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Kies in most cases will do all of that for you. However, I've run into many instances where the S2x simply will not connect to Kies. Glad to hear the update was a success and thank you for sharing this workaround.
Photo of Kofi Mawulawoe

Kofi Mawulawoe

• 70 Points
Pls help me to unlock my phone ( Samsung S2X KOODO)
Photo of Kofi Mawulawoe

Kofi Mawulawoe

• 70 Points
Pls help me to unlock my phone ( Samsung S2X KOODO)
Photo of jonil

jonil

• 60 Points
you need to download updated kies software in your pc.

www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoft...

select first option Kies and download it.
then connet your s2x via cable and launch kies. it will automatically pop up firmware upgradation available.
make sure your phone is 100% charged. it takes 15-20 minutes but it works 100%.
i did it last night.
best of luck.
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

Get the latest Samsung Kies it should detect your phone and tell you a new version is available.
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

• 2,908 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
As long as it's the Samsung Galaxy S2X (SGH-T989D) model it should. It could possibly be an issue with the drivers and the computer misrecognizing the phone. I'd suggest trying to follow the built-in troubleshooter, it ended up helping me when I had that issue (phone not even being seen by Kies on first use)
Photo of Brady Morgan

Brady Morgan

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I plug in my phone to do the update and it always says that Kies is not responding when i start to download the firmware.
Photo of Richard Mallais

Richard Mallais

• 70 Points
when i opened my kies it told me to upgrade. now it isnt detecting my phone. i typed in the info. model name and s/n and it said that the s2x wasnt compatable for upgrae. any idea what to do
Photo of Gérard Forget

Gérard Forget

• 60 Points
what was your solution to Kies not responding?
Photo of Rob MacKay

Rob MacKay

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Gerard - I wasn't able to update through Kies at all. I used ODIN instead, and it worked great. You need to be sure to backup your important data, but the upgrade itself is fairly straightforward.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is the update actually out? I tried updating my Kies but it says...

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

.Current firmware version : PDA:LG2 / PHONE:LG2 / CSC:LG2 (TLS)

Is there something I need to do first?
Photo of Richard

Richard

was it just random wile your phone was pluged in or did you plug it in and it got it right the first time?
Photo of MarkP

MarkP

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the exact same issue. I have the S2X T989D and using Kies I get an identical message. Kies is updated and current. This is really frustrating. I got mine through a mall kiosk too. Some input from Koodo would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of MarkP

MarkP

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Got the update last night. Had some issues connecting to Kies but I dialed *#7284# and selected PDA under UART and USB and it connected fine and applied the update.
Photo of Chang Mo Yeon

Chang Mo Yeon

• 60 Points
im also having a same issue...? @MarkP i tried your method but still not working
Photo of immadq87

immadq87

• 60 Points
Similar issue noticed with my device also, when i connect my koodo S2X through Kies... its showing Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.

.Current firmware version : PDA:LG2 / PHONE:LG2 / CSC:LG2 (TLS)
Photo of Paren Noble

Paren Noble

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
completely and utterly fed up with Kies.
I've done everything. Everything possible.
Kies just refuses to see it.
Called Samsung and they told me- get this- that its a problem with my phone and I have to take it in to see if there is a problem. god forbid its their fault.
I have tried using the troubleshooting so many times its not even funny. I have no idea what to do. I just want JellyBean 4.1.2.
Photo of Richard

Richard

this is what worked for me, dono if it will work for you

I've got similar problem with my SII, simply unplugged USB cable; on your phonedial *#7284# under USB select "Modem" mode then go back and dialagain *#7284# and again under USB select “PDA” mode then go back.

Now on your PC start Samsung Kies, then connect USB cable to your phone withoutgoing anywhere on your phone; just wait till the driver being installed on yourPC. The connection will establish between your phone and Kies. It worked withme and I hope it will be the same with yours.

i copy pasted the post into a note pad, cant remeber where i found it

my phone can now connect to kies - but it thinks im useing a telus phone, one problem down another in the way lol
Photo of Moto G

Moto G

• 6,066 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Richard, if I may ask, where does one get the codes that you key into the phone via dial pad? Are the codes put out by the phone manufactures, for the tech support people?
Photo of Chuck McCullough

Chuck McCullough

• 60 Points
thank you... it worked for me too.
Photo of Brady Morgan

Brady Morgan

I plug in my phone to do the update and it always says that Kies is not responding when i start to download the firmware.
Photo of Brady Morgan

Brady Morgan

More specifically, it says "downloading latest update components" at 100% then it doesn`t respond.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 65,504 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Karthik Potluri

Karthik Potluri

• 60 Points
If you don't mind rooting your phone and losing your warranty, you can easily install the AOKP or CM10 ROM. It works very well, no major bugs, just a few small glitches like icons loading from wring icon pack.

But thanks koodoo for pushing the update to us :D
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 65,504 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good point Karthik, also the rooting process is completely reversible. You can "unroot" the device if and when warranty work needs to be done. Battery issues with CM 10.1/JB 4.2.2 nightly (less stable) was one of the reasons I wanted to try the "official" OS release, just to see what all the hype was all about. Think I'm heading back to either CM 10, LiquidSmooth or MIUI.
Photo of Moses Lee

Moses Lee

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If you DID root your phone. Can you tell me the links i need to root my SGH-T989D?
Photo of Mike Murray

Mike Murray

• 72 Points
Only link you need is http://forum.xda-developers.com/
T-Mobile is the same device, so all those steps work.
Photo of DanoLostTheGame

DanoLostTheGame

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm running 4.3 thanks to Cyanogenmod
Photo of Omar .

Omar .

• 60 Points
The Arabic font is ugly and too small.... any way to fix it? everything is working fine so far
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 64,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You could try a different font style. Go to Settings > Display > Font style
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Done Upgrading.
I like it so far...

Now I have a problem, I cant connect to my wifi...
It says "Authentication Error Occurred"
i did - Rebooted my phone, my router, and i made my phone forget the network, and connect again. still i get Authentication Error Occurred.
Can someone help me.

Thanks!
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

Try turning it off and on
Photo of Murty Maganti

Murty Maganti

Working fine now. It's an issue with my router.
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

Ya it works! it was my router also. -.- bell 2wire!
Photo of raj sher

raj sher

how did you do that mine still not working please post solution
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

if u have bell router:
First make sure u have ur bell id and pass, the id starts with b1.

Second, at the back of your router press the reset (you'll need a pointy object) then ON A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP open internet and complete the bell setup.

Finally try connecting

Hope it helps!
Photo of Austin Caper

Austin Caper

• 60 Points
Mine was unlocked I had to remove the Rogers SIM and start kies again it worked. Also had to dial *#7284# and turn usb on.
Photo of Jagbir Mudharh

Jagbir Mudharh

i found the google search browser speed slow down after update to Jelly bean
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Maybe give Dolphin HD or Opera a try.
Photo of Jason Spence

Jason Spence

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
have no option in kies to upgrade. all I get is all my files, photos etc.. have downloaded the latest kies update.
Photo of Lourdes Fernandes

Lourdes Fernandes

• 70 Points
Mine connects to Kies and then I get a msg saying there is a new firmware upgrade. I go through the steps and accept everything to get the Jellybean update and get a window that says it is downloading the upgrade. It gets to 100% then closes the download window and closes Kies and then nothing! My phone hasn't been upgraded although I've gone through these steps about 10 times already. Can somebody help?
P.S. I've tried "...*#7284# under USB select "Modem" mode then go back and dialagain *#7284# and again under USB select “PDA” mode then go back."
Still nothing. I even turned off my firewall and antivirus. Please help.
Photo of Brady Morgan

Brady Morgan

• 60 Points
This was my exact problem. I did the chat on samsungs website, and they said to call koodo. I called them, they gave me the normal response (factory reset, reset computer) and with no help at all, I just decided to try it again. On about the 18th try it finally worked.
Photo of Lourdes Fernandes

Lourdes Fernandes

• 70 Points
Thanks for your reply. I finally got Jelly Bean update. I did not do any factory reset or anything. Just used another laptop. Downloaded Kies on it and tried and it worked. It downloaded the firmware update and I held my breath waiting for it to just dissapear, but it didn't this time. Surprised me and continued with installing the update. I fiinally have Jelly Bean. Yippee! Must have been my computer before I guess.
Photo of Pt Tiger

Pt Tiger

• 70 Points
Swype keyboard is missing after Jelly bean update. Samsung must have took it out.
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

No, it not. u just have to turn it on. tap on the settings (the circle bottom left) and then turn on continuous input. then ur done u have swype
Photo of Paul McDonald

Paul McDonald

• 472 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's not the same, it's the Samsung version and it's actually no where near as good as the swype that was originally installed. I payed the buck on the playstore to reinstall the swype keyboard.
Photo of Gord

Gord

• 60 Points
My Swype keyboard keeps randomly reverting back to samsung default keyboard. Always after a reboot and sometimes just during normal usage. Swype says it is a problem with the update and not with their app. Any leads on an update to fix this issue. Hate to have to downgrade to 4.0.4 just so I can reliably use the swype keyboard.
Photo of Kyle Miller

Kyle Miller

• 70 Points
I'm having that same issue where the phone doesn't remember settings such as customized keyboards or default program settings. Ringtones seem to be fine but I'm not sure how to go about fixing this issue.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Only solution I could come up with was to root the S2x. Run No Bloatware, remove the Samsung keyboard (it saves a backup of the file onto your SD card) and make Swype your default keyboard.
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

You can get it in the google play store
Photo of Richard Mallais

Richard Mallais

• 70 Points
Hey. like everyone else im having the issue with keys not upgrading for me. can someone post step by step instructions for me pleas.
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

Backup everything u need, and do a factory reset. then try to upgrade
Photo of Stephen Werner

Stephen Werner

First, if you have any other company's SIM in there, you'll probably need to replace it. I have two Koodo S2x's and only the one with the Koodo SIM updated to JB at first.

After plugging in the USB it's important to be a little patient. While the phones are using ICS, Kies takes about 90 second to acknowledge the presence of the phones. This happened with both of my phones. One JB is installed, it only takes one second.

Try typing in the *#7284# methods listed above if nothing else works.
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

• 2,908 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Anyone else having battery issues after the update?
Photo of Pt Tiger

Pt Tiger

• 70 Points
Seems like the battery life is horrible after the update for me. I thought JB was supposed to have better power management, which why I upgraded, but not the case.
Photo of Stephen Werner

Stephen Werner

So far my battery life seems unaffected by JB, not that I've been doing thorough, scientific studies on the matter. Maybe you have an app that doesn't like JB so far. You might want to look that up or try making sure all your apps are up to date.

For the record, Opera Beta works much better with JB than with ICS. It no longer uses massive CPU resources.
Photo of Stephen Werner

Stephen Werner

Oh, I forgot. Your Kies PC software needs to be up to date as well.
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

My battery life is similar. I found that the Weather Network tile was draining my battery pretty fast and removed that.
Photo of Mike Murray

Mike Murray

• 72 Points
Seems to be some issues. My phone doesn't seem to charge completely anymore and it takes much longer now??!!
Photo of raj sher

raj sher

HEY YOUR WIFI IS WORKING?
Photo of Stephen Werner

Stephen Werner

Yup. Works just like before.
Photo of raj sher

raj sher

mine is not working after update, i had to rollback to 4.0.4
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

very strange, wifi works well for me
Photo of shank pol

shank pol

if u have bell router:
First make sure u have ur bell id and pass, the id starts with b1.

Second, at the back of your router press the reset (you'll need a pointy object) then ON A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP open internet and complete the bell setup.

Finally try connecting

Hope it helps!
Photo of Brad Veenvliet

Brad Veenvliet

It's no wonder carriers don't like rolling out official Android updates... So many complaints. Jelly Bean is much better than ICS in my experience.
Photo of Goh

Goh

• 60 Points
Could anyone please kindly tell whether the jellybean update fixes the GPS issue with S2X? as S2X is known for its terrible GPS.
Photo of Ric Thot

Ric Thot

• 510 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Never had a single issue with the GPS on my S2x and it still works flawlessly with 4.1.2, even under clouds and tree coverage. I do lots of trail running and mountain bking in the woods and my tracks have always logged perfectly.
Photo of Adrian Juhasz

Adrian Juhasz

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm having problems updating. I have the T989D Koodo. I have
Android 4.0.4
Baseband: T989DTLLG2
Kernal: 3.0.8-perf-T989DTLLG2-CL836160 se.infra@SEP-89 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 13 23:39:44 KST 2012
Build: IMM76D.TLLG2

I also have the latest Kies, as of today (13/05/13).

In Kies my phone's firmware version is not showing up at all, just a blank, and i can not find anything to fix it. I tried *#7284#, UART set at Modem, USB set at PDA. I re-installed Kies fully more than once. I want to update my android to 4.1.2.. Any help would be appreciated on how to make the firmware show up.

Thank you
Photo of Moto G

Moto G

• 6,066 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I updated my kies lite then used it. first time I used it everything went well EXCEPT at the very end, the phone did not upload. did it a second time and everything worked OK.
Photo of Rob MacKay

Rob MacKay

Adrian, I have the same device and just contacted Samsung. They've released the Jelly Bean update for T989DTLUMC4, but not for ours (T989DTLLG2). I've been scouring the web off and on since late April looking for why mine wouldn't upgrade. Hope that helps. We just need to be patient.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Rob, the T989DTLUMC4 is the actual JellyBean baseband/firmware update to 4.1.2 for the T989D, albeit a TELUS version. T989DTLLG2 refers to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) firmware version 4.0.4. Click the image to see it a little more clearly. Although the icons appear shaded (for the 4.1.2 upgrade), they are downloadable after registering with SamMobile.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Baseband version changes from T989DTLLG2 to T989DTLMC4.

Photo of Rob MacKay

Rob MacKay

Then I'm confused. I was on a chat with Samsung support and this is what she said "The update is available for a different baseband version in the same model i.e., for T989DTLUMC4 but not available currently for T989DTLLG2.". I took that to mean that the DTLUMC4 is a slightly different model than I have, and the update was released for that one, but not for the TLLG2. Was she incorrect, or is the Baseband version merely the OS. I'm still a bit of a newbie here.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Both T989DTLUMC4 and T989DTLLG2 correspond to their respective OS platforms. LUMC4 = JellyBean 4.1.2, TLLG2 = Ice Cream Sandwich (or ICS) 4.0.4. So yes, they're simply different OS versions. Samsung Galaxy, Model Number: S2x - SGH-T989D. Same model I have.
Photo of michael

michael

• 60 Points
Any update coming for Ace II x?
Photo of Seutan Khuu

Seutan Khuu

• 60 Points
How can I update 4.1 on my phone samsung galaxy s2 x?
Photo of Paul McDonald

Paul McDonald

• 452 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Download the Samsung Kies program to your computer, attach the USB cord to your phone and plug into computer once installed.

-Kies may say there is an update for the program, install if it does.

-Back up your phone with Kies before you upgrade

-Kies will prompt you saying there is a firmware upgrade available for your phone, click yes/continue and you are on your way to getting 4.1

Hope that helps.
Photo of Rob MacKay

Rob MacKay

I couldn't get Kies to work on mine, so I had to use ODIN. Other than needing to do a factory restore before updating (which may be advisable anyway), I found the install to be very easy and it worked the first time.

http://community.koodomobile.com/kood...

Make sure you select the correct ROM for your device in SamMobile and follow the instructions carefully and you should be fine.

Jelly Bean is working beautifully on mine! I hope you have the same positive experience.

Good luck!
Photo of Denis Lopez

Denis Lopez

• 60 Points
after I updated i lost my gallery and music player, does jellybean not have these or what? i didnt think that i would lose all pictures and stuff. is there anyway i could retrieve these pics?
Photo of Rob MacKay

Rob MacKay

Jelly Bean does have these, but obviously you would only have your pictures and music if you backed them up. Hopefully you backed up before doing the update. I used ODIN, so I had to do a factory restore (ie. erase EVERYTHING), so I manually backed up my photos and music to my desktop AND Kies. If you used Kies, this may not have been necessary. How did you do the update?
Photo of Paul McDonald

Paul McDonald

• 472 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
When I upgraded via Kies it told me that the photo editor and one other item had to be downloaded separately. I found I had to re-download the samsung app store, kies air, photo editor and pay for the swype keyboard on the playstore since it's no longer included and the photo editor after the upgrade

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.