American ownership of account.

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
my account was opened by a Canadian relative, but i have maintained the account for four years with excellent payment record. how do I get the account in my name as a United States citizens in Canada.
Photo of james waters

james waters

  • 72 Points

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

  • 142,436 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The current account holder would need to call customer service and approve the transfer, then you would need to speak to koodo within 10 days to complete the transfer. You will need to pass a credit check and there will be a $10 fee for you to take over the account.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 66,862 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
US citizen in Canada generally does-not-compute for credit scores just like Canadian citizen in the US applying for US credit. Both countries generally rely on social insurance or social security numbers as references, but these are valid only for residents.

If you are missing the required one of these, don't feel insulted. I've been a snowbird in the US for many years and can't get any major credit there due to the lacking number regardless of an impreecable credit record in the opposite country.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

  • 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bob, you should apply for an ITIN and get a secured cc attached to it. Capitol one offered them.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.