A few questions from a phone novice

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
I have never owned a cell phone so I don't know how any of this works. I hope someone here can clear up a few questions for me.

1) If I buy a phone plan with a phone tab, does the phone come ready to go with the SIM card, or will I need to go to a physical location to get started?
2) Does unlimited texting include texts to the US, assuming I am in Canada at the time?
3) Are anytime minutes used up if someone calls me, or is it only for outgoing?
4) Am I able to check data usage statistics at any time?
5) When do "limited time offer" rates expire, or do they?

Thank you for whatever you can tell me.
Photo of Shaun

Shaun

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 53,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
1) No need to go to a store
2) Unlimited worldwide texting while you are in Canada
3) Minutes are used for incoming, outgoing, tollfree, anytime you are on the phone and no within the "free" period. (After 5pm and weekends on current plans)
4) Yes, simply login to selfserve and clixk view usage. As well you can check it on your phone
5) They expire at a time unknown to us unless announced by Koodo.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,462 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
1) There should be a SIM card included with your shipment.

2) calls are Canada wide, depending on your plan. Texts are Canada/US also..

3) incoming and outgoing calls are subtracted from your minutes.

4) you can check data usage any time from the Koodo self serve site.

5) offers expire without notice, but you can keep that plan/offer as long as your account is active and in good standing.
(Edited)
Photo of Shaun

Shaun

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So when they expire, you mean they are no longer available from the website, but the rate is the same so long as my account is in good standing?
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,462 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yep! They won't change your plan on you. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 140,864 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, exactly Shaun. Once you have a plan, you get to keep it as long as you keep your account.
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

• 3,438 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I can vouch for that.  I joined in 2012 (or late 2011) and switched  to a better plan the first month I was at Koodo.  I have kept my same plan ever since. 

If you live close to a Koodo Store, you may want to set up your account there, since this is your first time getting a cell phone.  Note there is a difference between an actual Koodo store and an authorized Koodo dealer (will charge extra fees for SIM card, etc). Both will be very helpful though and ensure you are set up before you leave.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 53,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I believe Koodo stores charge you for sims as well. From my experience you only get them for free online or if you are getting a special deal in which they wave it for you.