6uv1 not in service (but the line is in service and 100% sure I'm not on her blocked list) HELP!!??!?!?!

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

When I call my mom (which is a landline in the states) I get the message "6uv1 the number you are calling is not in service" but when I call from ANY other phone (cell or landline) it works perfectly fine. Koodo says the other service provider must be the problem and now refuses to help me because they said they've done an investigation and my mother's phone provider says things are fine on their end and that it must be Koodo. We checked with my mother's service provider and my number is not blocked. I'm caught in this loop hole and no one seems to be able to help me. Can ANYONE HELP ME??? 
Photo of Courtney Naesgaard

Courtney Naesgaard

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • extremely frustrated!!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@ Courtney, I see that you already called us a couple days ago and we tried everything we could. We dialed your Mom's number from different phones with different providers and in all cases we got a message "the number is not in service". Have you been able to find out what happened? 

Courtney Naesgaard

Nothing. It's not fixed yet. Extremely frustrated after spending around 5 hours between talking to Koodo and Time Warner (my mother's phone provider). Both companies claim it's not on their end. Just blame the other guys and leave the paying customer out of luck.

Courtney Naesgaard

Oh ya someone from Koodo suggested I use another phone!! This cell phone is my primary phone not to mention it's a bit rude to borrow someone's phone to make a long distance call and rack up their phone bill.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,264 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ok, that helps let me dig further...can't promise I will be able to get back to you today...everyone is gone...but as soon as I have an update, I will let you know Courtney. 

Courtney Naesgaard

When I was able to get through before all of this, my mom said the caller id would randomly have me show up something other than my name. I think she said it was coming up as champion something or another...
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,264 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And for no other acquaintances of yours would show up the same, this "chamapion something"?

Courtney Naesgaard

I'm certain that my friend's number came up correctly. Because she said that she saw on the call display that she called. I'm assuming the other numbers come up correctly since she's only mentioned that mine would come up other than what it is supposed to be.
Photo of George Ghanem

George Ghanem

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same error while calling someone in Toronto from my Koodo phone.

Courtney Naesgaard

Hey Bernard. I just wanted to update you. I submitted a ticket with time warner about a week ago. They said they would get back to me to update me but I haven't heard from them. Happy news though the phone start working a few days ago I wish I could give you an explanation but since I never heard back from them I don't have much to say except that things are working again. Thank you for taking the time to check into things. Also it seems that my caller ID is coming up correctly at my mother's now. Merry Christmas :)

Courtney Naesgaard

If there's some sort of middle international routing company maybe the problem is there... I don't have a clue though this has apparently never happened before...
(Edited)

Courtney Naesgaard

does koodo route it's international calls through some other company?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 88,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Of course! Once it leaves the Bell / Telus network in Canada, it may be carried by any number of carriers in the USA before reaching Time-Warner.  Can you call other numbers in the USA, maybe even your mother's neighbours? The more you narrow things down, the easier it will be to find a solution.

Courtney Naesgaard

I don't have any of her neighbors numbers but I'll try tomorrow. I haven't had problems calling other American numbers before. I called my cousin's cellphone the other day without problem (which is an American cell)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 88,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Which ever more makes it sound like a problem between Time-Warner, and who they connect to to receive your calls. The greater the number of successful calls you can make to US numbers and differing carriers, the more the problem appears to be tied to Time-Warner.
Photo of c

c

• 60 Points
I'm experiencing the exact issue. i'm in Vancouver, BC. Calling from a Telus landline, I was unable to reach my sister in Vernon, BC. No dial tone, no busy signal, no ring.. just "click" and eventually my line would give me a recording to hang up and try a call again. My sisters number is NOT disconnected. Telus briefly looked into it until they realized I had Comewave as a longdistance carrier... Then they told me to call them.
This time I used my Telus cell phone to call and got, "6UV1 the customer you're trying to call is not in service."
I called telus, they took it seriously but couldn't offer any solutions. Made a ticket number and suggested I track the issue and have my sister call as well, as they need access to her account info to investigate further.
Thanks to this post I'm able to show the customer care person, that I'm not taking crazy pills. Cheers.

Courtney Naesgaard

You're not taking crazy pills. Glad this helped someone else out.
Photo of George Ghanem

George Ghanem

I am having same problem calling someone from my Koodo wireless phone. I am trying to reach someone on a landline in Toronto. It used to work but sometimes last year(2017) it broke. I cant even find a help phone number to call in my issue for Koodo. I am hoping someone from Koodo sees this and can look into it. Getting a message that the number I am calling is out of service is frustrating when I know that its wrong.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried other Canadian carriers like Telus/Rogers/Bell?

Who is providing the service to that landline?
(Edited)
Photo of George Ghanem

George Ghanem

The landline in Toronto is on the Bell Canada network. I do not have access to other phones. The whole family is on Koodo. So can try from another network.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I would double checked the number again, when you dial. And don't use saved contact to call. Dial (+1) before the number +1.xxx.xxx.xxxx

You could also try to call it from another pay phone and see if it work.

If those don't work, then you have to check in with either Koodo or Bell and see what they say.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 10,944 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like you should call Koodo and ask them what's going on.

Call *611 or  1-866-99-KOODO (1-866-995-6636).

Photo of George Ghanem

George Ghanem

I actually tried 611 and got no answer. But I solved my problem. The persons phone number was in my contacts as 416-xxx-xxxx and when I call them, i get message that this could be a long distance call and then the announcement that the number is not in service. Adding a 1 before the number allows to terminate call properly. The contacts app was not adding the 1 to the called number which was the problem. So dialing 1-416-xxx-xxxx works fine.

Thanks for the help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.