500MG Addon insufficient How to access more data for the remainder of trip?.

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
The advice given was wrong. My addon of 500MG for trip in Ireland is not enoigh on June 22. How do I access more data for the remainder of my trip? I return to Canada July 2nd. Next billing cycle begins July 12. Thank you.
Photo of Raymond Kuntz

Raymond Kuntz

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • insufficiently informed

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well I'm not aware of a 500MB international roaming add-on. Afaik there's only the 59MB one. There isn't a way as you can only pick one type of roaming add-on per billing cycle. You will have to pay overage rare, which is obscene. Your only realistic option at this point is to get a local prepaid Sim for your data needs. There are excellent data options locally:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.co...
(Edited)
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,648 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think Raymond meant 50MB Goran.

Likely the easiest option is to use wi-fi for your data needs at this point Raymond. You could get a local SIM as Goran suggested it, although the will require greater effort to make happen then if you just jumped on a wi-fi connection.
Photo of Raymond Kuntz

Raymond Kuntz

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You are right about the 50MB typo.
I can get Wifi on several stops along a cycling trip (as I am now). However I hope to use an Ap to track routes and elevations as we go along our trip. I picked up a micro SIM card. But, of course, my phone is locked. Canada just passed a law prohibiting companies from selling locked phones so as I contact my mobile phone company I will argue they should not charge me to unlock this LG phone.
Thanks !
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 56,956 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can still be charged for unlocking phones until December 1st.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,838 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you have an Android phone, then 3rd party can unlock your phone much cheaper.
And you can use local SIM/service. It would be cheaper than paying overage charges.