5.293MB of data used on startup????

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I just signed up for Koodo prepaid with a 2GB data booster. After inserting my sim card and rebooting my phone, I wanted to test the mobile connection. I manually turned on data, saw that my phone could connect, and then turned it off.   When I went to SelfServe, I see that 5.293MB was already used! I checked my phone and only one app was running that used about 50kB. Why is SelfServe showing such high usage?. What is causing this? I can't afford to have 5MB suddenly used up every time I turn on data. My previous plan only had 100MB/month, so I am very conscious of how much data my phone uses.

When I search through the community forum, I didn't find a resolution, but I did find that others also experienced this sudden loss of data, and it is even exactly 5.293MB! Koodo, please explain and give my data back!

Thx,
JC
Photo of Joey Chow

Joey Chow

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 88,974 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Search for 'Data Reservation.' It will explain how a block of data is reserved for future use, and is returned to your pool if not consumed. It speeds the system by not having to confirm you have a block of data available.  Think of it like the pre-auth a hotel takes for your stay.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 32,640 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Which phone was it? Can you post the snapshot of the Mobiledata that show 50kb? Many apps can run behind the scene and 5MB is not a big number these days. A simple email could also take 5MB.
Photo of Joey Chow

Joey Chow

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks. It looks like it was indeed a case of 'data reservation'. After using Koodo for a couple of weeks the data usage reported on my phone matches the SelfServe Usage History.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

• 60 Points
Thanks David! I was having the same problem and was wondering why my data usage went down in my account. Seems like this was the problem!