5.293 MB of Data used the very moment I add a 1GB Data Booster?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
The very moment I add a new 1GB data booster to my prepaid plan, the usage updates to show: 5.293  /  1024 MB Used.  Where does this 5.293MB of "instant" usage come from and am I being short changed (it seems so!).
Photo of Colin Stuckless

Colin Stuckless

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It comes from the fact smartphones use data on a constant basis, even if you aren't using your phone. When your phone didn't have data, your apps and phone were still trying to use data but were blocked. As soon as you added the data booster, the data "block" was unblocked and the apps/operating system could start using data. It's legitimate data usage 
Photo of Colin Stuckless

Colin Stuckless

It happens within milli-seconds (as soon as the koodo page refreshes it shows this amount) then stays at that number until the phone is actually used. Also seems consistent as this is the 4th or 5th time I've observed it. Next time I will turn off data on the phone before hand when I add the booster and see what happens.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As an electrical engineering student, trust me, it's completely possible within milli-seconds. Especially with data speeds these days.

Definitely do that for next time, have your data blocked in your phones settings when adding the booster and see if there is any immediate usage. But I'm fairly sure that's its literally the apps/operating system immediately using the data
Photo of Colin Stuckless

Colin Stuckless

Thanks Ahmad. As a Computer Science graduate with many years of high speed networks and application experience, I do trust that data can be used very quickly :-). I'm am curious why this behavior exists via one of my kids' Koodo phones (iphone 5S) but not the other (also an iphone 5S). The fact that it sits at ~5MB used for some time immediately after the booster is added is curious to me. It means somehow (if it's legitimate used), there is a 'buffer' of 5MB of data demand waiting on this particular phone, it flushes, then stays at that amount until a new browser or other app session is launched.

I'm curious to identify exactly what might be causing this. It also happened to the same account when the same sim (before I converted it from a Micro-sim to a Nano-sim) was in a completely different phone - an iphone 4S.
Photo of Ben S

Ben S

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This just happened to me too, for exactly the same amount of data.  The 5.293 Mb usage gets posted immediately after the data booster is added.  My phone was on wifi so it cannot be that.

What's going on , Koodo?
Photo of Paul Tomko

Paul Tomko

I don't like it, but that makes sense.

Thanks David.

Photo of Paul Tomko

Paul Tomko

OK, I have not turned my data on yet and it has been over a month since I bought my data booster. Now it says I've used 6.455mb of my data. I refuse to use my data until I am certain that my data plan is not corrupt. I won't turn my data on for a year if I have to. I am used to only using WIFI and can live without data boosters.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Paul, some phones do have data leaks. I've experienced this with older lg p500h. The problem usually occurs during a restart before the OS is fully loaded and shuts the data off.

Maybe this is happening with you as well?
Photo of Edward Lewis

Edward Lewis

• 62 Points
My data booster add-on reverted to zero when I added the 1 Gb option. I lost the balance that I had. Koodo effectively stole some of my data allowance. Pretty poor way to treat customers.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 96,632 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That should not have happened. Youre supposed to be able to add as many boosters as you want without ending any others. You can send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to get it sorted out.

Ps please start a new thread if your have a separate and different issue.
Photo of Colin Stuckless

Colin Stuckless

It happens to one of my two kids' iPhone 5S. It doesn't happen on the other. The phone can be off and it still posts 5.293 Mb used as soon as I add the booster.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If Wi-Fi Assist is enabled on one iPhone and not the other, this may be the culprit. Wi-Fi Assist is enabled by default. Wi-Fi assist automatically switches to cellular data whenever your iPhone detects a poor Wi-Fi connection. To disable Wi-Fi Assist, go to: Settings > Cellular - scroll down and tap Wi-Fi Assist, tap the switch to disable, if enabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296
Photo of Ben S

Ben S

@Colin, I remember that I did not get this when I added a data booster before the current one ran out.

In my case, it is definitely not due to any mobile activity on my phone.  I added the data booster from my PC, and my Android phone was idle and on wifi.

For both of us to get the exact same usage posted seems to indicate a bug in Koodo's system.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm reading an identical report from Public Mobile, (link below). Exact same amount of data used. Apparently there's some sort of 'buffer zone' of 5 MB. Here's what one poster wrote.

"The amount of data used is always about 5 MB over as a safety zone when you have data turned on. Turn you data off on your phone and the amount should go down by approximately 5 MB".

Having been on prepaid for close to four years, this is the first time I've heard of this. Then again, I rarely use mobile data and turn it off whenever I'm connected to Wi-Fi. Ben, you mentioned in your second post, (10 months ago), that data was enabled when you added the data booster. Do you recall having data enabled or disabled when you added this recent data booster?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobi...
(Edited)
Photo of Ben S

Ben S

Data was enabled on my phone at the time I added the data booster, but wifi was also on so mobile traffic would have gone through wifi.  Besides, I don't see any activity in my online usage report around that time.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.