250mb additional data used in 5 minutes on background apps

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
On an IPhone 5S, I ran out of data so agreed to 250 extra mbs for an extra $5. Without opening any apps, the 250mbs was used up in 5 minutes. How can I figure out what used up that much data that quickly? Feels like a glitch - how to I get my data reset and my money back if it is? See image showing how quickly the data disappeared.
Photo of Peter Verlinden

Peter Verlinden

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • anxious

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,420 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Peter,

Go to: Settings > Cellular/Mobile Data and scroll down to switch off apps that are using data.
On the same page, scroll down to the very bottom to disable Wi-Fi Assist. This feature automatically uses cellular data when Wi-Fi signals become weak or are out of range.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
iPhones seem to be data hogs. Also, 250 MB is a very small amount of data in this day and age - before LTE came out it might have been enough but higher resolution screens + videos, social media apps, and online games tend to eat it faster nowadays. If this is insufficient for your needs you might also want to look into changing your plan.
Photo of geena

geena

• 72 Points
I'm having the same problem, apparently my phone has used 88mb of data while I was sleeping, with only one app allowed to use data. Its record use is 5.5mb over a year so I doubt it's the culprit. Wifi assist is disabled, so what's the deal?
My historic use has had me well below my data cap, so this is unusual. Not the least that it's using data while my phone is sleeping (as am I), any suggestions??
Photo of Jay Why

Jay Why

• 1,994 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
kinda makes me wonder though, is there really a point of a plan that offers 100mb of data?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Better than nothing I suppose. It really is nothing. Good for messaging and a fe dozen Web pages. The average pag per mobile website is now well over 2MB with no signs o slowing down.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Geena have you looked to see exactly what app or the system is taking up the data? It should show all data use. There shouldn't be a Bermuda triangle of missing data.
Photo of geena

geena

• 72 Points
I only have WhatsApp with access to data (because of random drops from wifi experienced in the past). I received no messages, so it can't be that. If it's System Services (the only thing left), can I disable its access?
I reset my stats to see for sure, but as whatever this mysterious access is has put me at 90% of my cap I'm nervous, I've never been this close halfway through the billing period before
(Edited)
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,420 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wi-Fi Assist is enabled by default. Disable Wi-Fi Assist. It's located at the very bottom of the apps list that access data. If for whatever reason your iPhone loses a Wi-Fi signal, (e.g. drops Wi-Fi while charging or while in sleep mode), Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to a cellular data connection. This might explain the mysterious data leakage/usage.

Wi-Fi Assist
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.