2 lines, 1 account, would like to port 1 line to prepaid. multiple questions inside.

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
hi all, 

i have recently added a second line to my account, however i would like to port my first line to prepaid. i have multiple questions, one of which i think i already have the answer to but would just like to confirm. 

1) by porting my first line to prepaid, will that cancel the entire post paid account which now has a second line? (from what i've read in the forum, think the answer is no...the account should still remain active even when i port out the first line...right?) 

2) i have made a few referrals in the past few weeks using the first line, by porting out the first line to prepaid, will the referral credits still apply to the account which will still have 1 line active? (essentially, are the referral credits attached to the line / phone # or are they attached to the account?) 

thanks all. 
Photo of kevin

kevin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 46,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Kevin,
1. If you had 2 lines in 1 account. If you move out 1 line, the other stays normally.
2. the rule from the website mentioned https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/common/terms.pg "To be eligible for the referral credit, both of you must have active service with Koodo when the credits are applied. The person being referred must keep their account active for 90 days after activating. If service is terminated within 90 days of activating, the bill credit will be charged back to both their account and the account of the person who referred them."

--> So, if you move that line out, you (and your referral) might not eligible for the credits. Otherwise, people will just refer a friend, then cancel, then they will have free credit. I wouldn't think it is fair if you are allowed to receive credit that way.
(Edited)
Photo of kevin

kevin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
even if the line i used to send out referrals has been active for a few years?? 
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 46,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well, If you port out, there is no difference between few days and few years.
(Edited)
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 70,032 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Fair has nothing to do with it.. go by the fine print. Unless you want a SNAFU, that first line should be kept active on post-paid for at least 90 days. There's nothing to keep you from dropping down to a minimal plan, however, before making the port out to prepaid once the credits are confirmed.
(Edited)
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 25,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Question 1 is no.

Question 2 The referrer just has to have their line active when the credit is applied. This could take anywhere from a month to two months. 90 days does not apply to the referrer.
The person who is being referred for sure has to have their line active for at least 90 or the credits will be taken away from both the referrer and who was referred.

So in your case don't port out till you see the credit applied to that line.
(Edited)
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For the question 1.
If first line is the owner of account and second line is as subscriber.
I believe your second line will be close as soon as you ported out to prepaid/other provider, unless 2nd line took over your account. It means you have to transfer of ownership before you port out.

Say, you(parent) are the account owner. You add a second line(your 17 yr child).  You want to cancel (or port to other service) your line.  S/he can't take over your account, so both of your line will be close.
If that 2nd line is under someone over the age of majority and passed a credit check, then there is no issu that 1st line will be cancel/port out
(Edited)