124 MB Used, But apparently 500/500 MB Used

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Data for my phone has been turned off as I apparently have used 500/500 MB of data, However when I check my usage, It says in total I've only used 124 MB for this cycle. I was watching YouTube while the issue occurred, as I noticed a total of 3 messages from Koodo saying I had used 50%, 90%, and 100% of my data while I was watching over the course of about 20 minutes.
Photo of Hes lios

Hes lios

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,410 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is the cycle for your phone set to match your billing cycle? The phone does not know your cycle, and needs to be set manually to match it.

The inter web suggests YouTube consumes between 3 and 16 MB per minute depending on quality of the video, so it is quite possible you consumed over 250 MB of data in 20 minutes, especially if your video was cached prior to viewing or you only partially watched videos.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 96,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
1080p will even burn 1.3-2.6GB per hour.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
YouTube can very easily chew up that much data, especially if you are watching the stream in HD.
Photo of Hes lios

Hes lios

I understand that YouTube can chew through my data, I'm just confused as to why Koodo says I've used 500/500 MB of data, but when I choose to view details it says 124 MB, And now when I check my phone it says 402 MB
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,702 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The counter isn't updated immediately as used and since you used it all watching videos which uses it very quickly chances are it didn't update as quick as you were using the data. It should show the full amount by now.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 106,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So you received a text message saying you used all your data but the data indicator on self serve doesn't match? 
Photo of Hes lios

Hes lios

I received three text messages for 50%, 90% and 100%, at which point my data was shut off. If I visit self serve, it says I've used 500/500 MB and that my data has been turned off. If I choose to view details, It shows I've only used a total of 124 MB, , and if I go to the data usage on my phone it says 400 MB. As of today my cycle has reset, I'm just utterly confused as to why this was happening.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 190,906 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So is your data working again?