100MB vs 500MB?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I have an unlocked Samsung Focus that my friend gave to me for free since he got a Galaxy Note 2. From my research it seems Koodo will give me the best value. I can't decide between the $30 plan and the $45 plan though.

Both have basically the same stuff such as unlimited texting and whatnot, but I am wondering how much data I will need. The $30 plan has 100MB of data and the $45 one has 500MB. At home I use a ton of data, generally about 300-400GB per month. Obviously I won't be doing that, but still, 100MB seems like nothing. I don't know if it would be enough. I basically want to be able to browse the web wherever I am, pretty much as much as I want. I don't plan on streaming videos, but I may stream music every so often. I don't plan on playing games either.

Thanks,

EDIT: The $45 plan also has 200 minutes instead of 75, but I am a student and I really never call anyone. I doubt I would use more than 10 minutes per month. The only ones who ever actually call me are my parents, and those calls are infrequent and generally only last about 30 seconds.
Photo of Melbourne Marsden

Melbourne Marsden

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • magical.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of John Burke

John Burke, Mobile Master

• 71,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'd say go with the 45$ Plan. Has a lot more value for just 15$ more.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
300 to 400 GB at home?? Good lord, stop torrenting so many movies and games. :P

You'll definitely want the $45 with 500 MB as a bumper for music and Facebook, some apps, etc. The overage rate is also very good, with an additional 500 MB coming in at $5. You say you don't call that much, which is fine, but the $45 data plan also has Unlimited incoming calls, a feature which is $10 to add on its own.

I would definitely recommend that one.

Melbourne Marsden

Haha, I don't pirate anything. It's mostly from streaming HD video from Netflix/YouTube. I live in a household of 5 and we all stream stuff a lot. I also download a ton of random games. During the Steam Christmas sale I ended up getting over 200GB of games for about $70.

Melbourne Marsden

Alright, thanks. I didn't notice the overage rate. I'll probably get the $45 one.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 141,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Actually, if you call that little, you might be better off with a Talk & Text plan (oddly enough, haha). It offers flexable data.

Say you use around 500 MB per month, that would cost you

$20 (25 minutes included and unlimited weekend)
$15 for 500 MB and even if you go a bit over, that'll be only $20.

You'd only need to spend a total of $35 to $40... unless you need other perks of the $45 plan, T&T seems your best bet :)

Melbourne Marsden

I'll check that out. I didn't really consider a "talk and text" plan when my primary use for the phone is data. xD
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

I know :D Why pay too much (I'm sure Koodo is grateful now for recommending something cheaper, hahahaha!)

Melbourne Marsden

Actually that does seem to be the best bet. Thanks for pointing it out.

So I would get 50 minutes, unlimited text messages and as much data as I want? Even if I somehow managed to use 3GB, that would only be $50, right? And since I am bringing my own phone I would still get 10% off?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

True... if you want to do your own math, here is a little spreadsheet I created a few months ago - wow, it's the second time I post that link today :D
http://goo.gl/88DFC
You can play around with the data on the second sheet and see what it would cost you depening on your usage.

I didn't know there were two different plans now, here in BC I only see the 25 minutes + unlimited weekend calling. Odd... but I don't think you're worried about minutes anyway :)
Edit: ack! I see that Koodo has reversed the plans to 50 minutes etc. That means I'll have to go back to the drawing room with the calculations... though data should still be correct!

Melbourne Marsden

Yeah, the math works out. I was just making sure that there were no hidden fees or anything like that.

Thanks for your help.
Photo of SkAshe

SkAshe

• 2,202 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
That's what I have now, I got my unlocked Nexus 4 with 50 mins, unlimited texting and with the flex data you get 1gb for 36$ and 3gb for 45$ which is a pretty good deal.

Melbourne Marsden

So the 10% off applies to the flex data as well?

Melbourne Marsden

So I would still get the 10% off right?
Photo of SkAshe

SkAshe

I'm leaving Koodo that's official, I was told that the pay per use data was included in the 10% SIM discount. They lied, I would not have taken a plan with Koodo if I knew that.

Melbourne Marsden

Thanks for the information.

And to SkAshe, the 10% off is literally going to be $3 extra maximum. Probably not worth the trouble of switching carriers TBH. I doubt it would be cheaper anyway.
Photo of SkAshe

SkAshe

Well the point is that I was thinking to pay 45$ and not 48$. Maybe it's only 3$, but mentally that's too much for me.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

I hope you don't mind me replying to SkAshe, Melbourne even if it was your thread originally :)
SkAshe, actually, I agree with you if it is a matter of principle to you... but perhaps the party who told you about the 10% including data was mistaken instead of a deliberate lie? I tend not to believe everybody all the time, so I usually ask a few times until I'm sure, I did so today in here, haha.

However if you are happier with another provider, please don't feel pressured in any way. I have spent a few days looking at several threads here, and I did notice a bit of "fan boy-ism" here and there... not sure why, is it to get brownie points?

I share your loyalty to this company (none), for now I am happy with Koodo, in the past I tried Rogers and Telus, and the future... who knows :D

Melbourne Marsden

Yeah, I agree on principle as well. I was more meaning that when you think about it, it is unlikely he will find a better plan. It is a matter of at most $3 per month, and that is if he uses between 1 and 3GB.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.