Koodo Community

Community

Question

With the International Text $15 Add on can I text in Japan, New Zealand & Australia, locally and to Canada. My phone is a Iphone SE

My phone is an Iphone SE. With the international text add on can I use my phone in Japan, New Zealand and Australia to text locally and back to Canada

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, you are correct. Just remember though. The add-on only has 75 outgoing texts for the whole 30 days. After that, you will be charged $0.60 Text. Incoming Texts are free. As well you will want to add the International Voice Roaming add-on (to be able to text while away), and if you plan on going over, the Pay Per Use Intl Long Distance add-on.
Thank you Allan.. is the Japan frequency of 2100 compatible with my iphone SE. I don't plan to use more than 75 texts. I can monitor the number of texts correct, or will koodo send me a warning message that I am running out and then I can add on more on the phone, if necessary..Is this correct..!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

Thank you Allan.. is the Japan frequency of 2100 compatible with my iphone SE. I don't plan to us...

Accordng to (http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_se-7969.php), it has LTE Band 1 (2100) so you should be good.
To my knowledge you should be able to monitor the amount of texts through self serve and should receive a warning that your add-on has expired.
JP wrote:

Thank you Allan.. is the Japan frequency of 2100 compatible with my iphone SE. I don't plan to us...

Perfect! and I can sign up for more text add on then correct. Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

I dont believe that you can sign up for more than one of the same add-on in the same billing cycle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

Just a note that Koodo uses LTE band 4, which uses 1700/2100 in a paired manner, so your phone may behave differently in Japan.

Also, texts over about 160 characters will be split and sent as multiple SMS, so watch your character count in the SMS you sent if you think you many go near the 75 SMS limit of the plan you have.
JP wrote:

oh Thank you for the tip...what do you mean I cannot sign up for the same add on again...Is there someone I can call to find out..cos then that does not make sense.!! I should be able to sign on as many times as want right?
JP wrote:

what do you mean behave differently..sorry i don't understand !
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

Well nothing technically prevents it but Koodo policy is one roaming add-on cannot be added more than once per billing cycle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

There are two versions of the iPhone SE, the A1662, and A1723. The phone should work fine in Japan, but in Canada the 2100 frequency is pared with 1700 as Band 4. In Japan it seems a standalone frequency as Band 1. The phone should manage these frequency changes, or it may operate on 3G instead of LTE.

MM Mayumi may have some additional experiences to share.

JP wrote:

Cool ..Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JP wrote:

I can't really add more info on David comment 🙂

All 3 major carriers(Docomo, au and SoftBank) have LTE Band 1
So, your iPhone SE should work fine.

I don't know how often you will send text to people in Japan, but sms is not really popular there. Most ppl use an app called "Line" or email  to communicate each other.  
So I used rental hot spot - Pocket WIFI - to communicate with my Japanese friends/family and communicate through FB with my Canadian friends/family.