Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will my phone successfully roam on a GCI network?

I'm traveling to the middle of nowhere, Alaska (Atqasuk, AK), and there is GCI coverage. My question is whether my Koodo sim card will successfully roam here (with data). From what google tells me, T-mobile customers roam to GCI so I'm hopeful but I don't want to waste money on a roaming package if it won't work. Thanks for any help!!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Telus does not partner with GCI, so it is likely Koodo does not either. You could unlock your phone, and pick up a GCI prepaid SIM, if you are stopping in Anchorage on your way. Else, your host may well have internet available to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are going to be there for a while, pick up a Tracfone + airtime / data at a Dollar Store. They operate on Verizon or AT&T. Check the [i]local ZIP ahead of time to see what's recommended.

Don't expect too much from Koodo or any Canadian carrier in terms of exotic roaming. Even native coverage in Arizona, Nevada and other remote relatively uninhabited areas can be dicey.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

If you are going to be there for a while, pick up a Tracfone + airtime / data at a Dollar Store. ...

No Verizon or ATT coverage in Atqasuk, AK, or anywhere nearby. GCI is the only player!

BobTheElectrician wrote:

If you are going to be there for a while, pick up a Tracfone + airtime / data at a Dollar Store. ...

Thanks so much!!! I unlocked my phone and will nip out for a SIM card in Anchorage! Thanks again!