Koodo Community
Solved

Will Koodo support the Apple Watch LTE

Userlevel 1
Apple is releasing the series 3 watch tomorrow. Will Koodo offer any options to connect the Apple Watch with an existing prepaid or monthly plan?

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are no device limits so long as it matches the frequency bands. So long as the plan you put it on has data I'm sure that it'll work great
Userlevel 1
That's great news, thanks Goran!
Userlevel 1
David Fuchs wrote:

What do you suggest I do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Fuchs wrote:

They haven't announced how the watch 3 LTE works yet. Rumors said it could work as an individual cell and/or can be combined with your phone (use the same  number with your iphone to call). Stay tuned for tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Fuchs wrote:

If it's as an individual cell, I doubt it will work with Koodo's network because like Azure said, Koodo doesn't over data only plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Fuchs wrote:

It should still work. It would just use the data if it's setup as a standalone device. Data only plans for tablets are a thing just because people generally don't use tablets to place calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo wont support the new apple watch yet. As announced, Bell will support it at launch followed by Telus later on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Koodo wont support the new apple watch yet. As announced, Bell will support it at launch followed...

Based on my interpretation of what I saw on the Release Event today, it looks to be added in the fashion of adding a tablet to a 'Share Plan' as offered by the Big 3, with a special caveat that the SIM of your iPhone and SIM of the Watch will be interlinked in a manner that allows both to ring based on one common number being dialled. I don't see the utility in having a separate number for the watch, nor using without the phone number interconnect.

I'm in agreement with Roar, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Koodo to implement this.
Allan wrote:

Koodo wont support the new apple watch yet. As announced, Bell will support it at launch followed...

Well, let's try to remember that Koodo is a Telus subsidiary. So if Telus supports the Apple Watch, chances are high that so will Koodo soon thereafter.
If Koodo had data only plans I’d be one super happy costumer!
I really want the Apple Watch LTE but no point if it won’t work with Koodo.
I also would love to have my tablet on Koodo.
Userlevel 6
Kelsey wrote:

I really want the Apple Watch LTE b...

If your tablet is usually near your Koodo smartphone, you could hotspot your phone and share data to your tablet via wifi connection that way.
Kelsey wrote:

So could one just hotspot data to the watch too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kelsey wrote:

Already happens when the watch and iPhone are near to one another through Bluetooth.
Kelsey wrote:

But you just couldn’t use the watch for texts, calls etc.. unless the phone is near? What if it’s on wireless - then it can do texts right?
Everyone needs to understand that the Apple watch will be a full-fledged cellular device, not a Data only device. To put it in very simple non-techie as possible terms, the watch's built-in sim card will clone itself to the user's iPhone sim, so they share the same ID. Think of having two phones connected to one land line in your house. Same concept. This would be extremely simple to implement by Koodo. The issue is more than likely with pricing strategy before it every becomes about technical hurdles. It is even simpler to just assign the same phone number to two CIDs at the same time. I've done this inadvertantly in the past when switching over to a new phone and both sims were activated on one number. Both phones would ring. So let's all scream loud enough so Koodo hears us, or the alternative is to switch to Telus or Bell and leave Koodo behind. It's worth the extra $10/month to have the watch on cellular in my book.
Userlevel 6
Shane wrote:

Everyone needs to understand that the Apple watch will be a full-fledged cellular device, not a D...

@Shane
You said

This would be extremely simple to implement by Koodo.

I am not convinced. I think there's much more than meets the eye to us subscribers.
Consider the following:
  • Unlike connecting two telephone sets to a single landline (which is more like connecting a bluetooth headset to your smartphone...keep in mind End User Hardware), the Same Number feature is a combination of LTE+VOIP=VoLTE+eSIM+carrier/manufacturer relationship+other unseen factors
  • The eSIM will still have an unadvertized ten digit Canadian cell number, but via managed VoLTE, will operate "same number" as the iPhone
  • Koodo does not offer VoWiFi and VoLTE is still not launched across the board
  • For billing purposes, the data would have to be shared
Parent company TELUS has offered a VOIP app same number option for some time but has not extended that to Koodo. Although in theory they "could" port the VOIP/VoLTE features to Koodo, it'd still be a fair bit of work behind the scenes (as TELUS and Koodo sims are different, heck Koodo even has different sims for pre-paid vs post-paid).
I'm not saying it's impossible. Not saying non-shareable data can't allow this to work. Not saying Koodo can't enter the ring via TELUS with Apple and get this in motion. Not saying TELUS can't spend money to develop VoLTE/VoWiFi for Koodo (notably iPhones) and launch quickly.
Fact is, majority of iPhone users are on top tier Rogers/Bell/TELUS. The top tier big 3 compete the most for iPhone users. Virgin/Fido/Koodo offer iPhones for those customers who may prefer a lower monthly plan and may pay more upfront for their devices, may wait longer to get the phones they want, etc. Koodo doesn't mind losing customers to Bellus over niche features like same number while racking up the customers who enjoy tab discounts.
Telus has said they need a tech change to make the electronic sim work. That's logical. The monthly fee at Bell is $5 a month, free for 3 months plus a $10 link fee. Personally, if Koodo doesn't support it, they are uncompetitive and I'll just switch.
Stephen Pate wrote:

Telus has said they need a tech change to make the electronic sim work. That's logical. The month...

I've been browsing the Bell plans since the announcement.. This is quite a game changer, and a definite "you get what you pay for moment" for sure. If Koodo doesn't make some sort of announcement around launch with some sort of update of intentions, I'll be taking my one bar of service and heading to the bell kiosk, along with my wife, my brother, and my co-worker.
when will koodo support apple watch if not we will change to bell or telus ,we all want lte apple watch 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ben Yu wrote:

when will koodo support apple watch if not we will change to bell or telus ,we all want lte apple...

There is no saying if the even will support it let alone when.
Ben Yu wrote:

when will koodo support apple watch if not we will change to bell or telus ,we all want lte apple...

I got the new Apple Watch 3. I will be busy learning all the features but eventually I want LTE service. I'll give Koodo/Telus a few months to get their act together. They generally have been good supporting new tech although a little late.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You'll have to wait and see depending on how the service is done for connecting it to your main plan. It's entirely possible that such service will be limited to Bell / Telus brand and not be done for Koodo / Virgin.
This is the response I got right from Koodo. Looks like I'll be moving to another carrier.

I perfectly understand your inquiry and I would like to confirm that, as you can also see on our website, Koodo only offers mobile services. Koodo doesn't offer tablet or data-only plans. All Koodo plans are talk & text, with or without data. The only device Koodo offers that isn't a conventional cellphone is the home phone adapter. You can get an Apple Watch 3, pair it with an iPhone that you got from Koodo via Bluetooth or Wifi and just use it as a smart watch, however, you won't be able to get the smart watch as an add-on to your post-paid subscriber line. As I completely understand how important is this service for you, I would warmly recommend to keep an eye on our partner website, Telus, as the Apple Watch 3 will be available later this year.

After I did a lot of research. It appears that Apple Watch requires VoLTE to function. So that's a non-starter for me until SaskTel finishes the VoLTE buildout in our province sometime next year.
Userlevel 6
Shane wrote:

This is the response I got right from Koodo. Looks like I'll be moving to another carrier.

[quot...

Yeah, without VoLTE, you're out of luck with any carrier, and that includes SK at the time of writing.