Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will an IPhone 5S need a data plan?

I am on the "bring your own device $15 a month pre paid plan." I have unlimited texting, and picture messaging, but no data. If I buy an iPhone 5S will it be able to work on this plan? I'm not sure if you must have a data plan with an iPhone.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AFAIK, you will need some data availability for picture messaging and iMessage to work. Not an enormous quantity of data necessarily, but some will be needed. Roll the dice and buy a small booster to see what you need over time. Otherwise, I predict you will be cursing your iPhone needlessly.
Userlevel 5
You only need wi-fi for iMessage
Userlevel 6
Hi Alisha, you won't need a data booster to send and receive picture messages with our prepaid service! If you don't need internet on your iPhone, you can definitely use it without data 🙂 Enjoy your new phone! 
Yannick wrote:

Hi Alisha, you won't need a data booster to send and receive picture messages with our prepaid se...

Thank you so much!
Yannick wrote:

Hi Alisha, you won't need a data booster to send and receive picture messages with our prepaid se...

I have more than one iPhone on the $15 pre paid plan. None of them can send pictures by text? Only iMessage. Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

What happened when you turn off iMessage > turn on Data >and send pics by text?
Yannick wrote:

They just sit there not sending when you turn off iMessage. We don't have data. The plan says text and picture message?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

You data radio needs to be turned on to send or receive picture messages. You aren't billed for that portion of data use.