Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will an iphone 5s locked to telus work with Koodo without unlocking?

i am getting iphone 5s locked to telus. Will it work on koodo without unlocking?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes it will.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You just need to pop in the Koodo phone and it should work. If it doesn't work then follow the instructions here to update the carrier settings http://koodomobile.com/en/on/switch2koodo-step-3-d.shtml
Hi I am also thinking of purchasing an iphone 5 locked to telus and I spoke with the rep at Koodo and he said I would have to unlock it with telus in order for Koodo to work. Is this true?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Reyes wrote:

Hi I am also thinking of purchasing an iphone 5 locked to telus and I spoke with the rep at Koodo...

No, iPhone 5 is one of the few phones that will work with Koodo without unlocking it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Richard Reyes wrote:

Hi I am also thinking of purchasing an iphone 5 locked to telus and I spoke with the rep at Koodo...

No. Telus iPhones starting with the 4 and above will work on either carrier. So will most Blackberries, the Lumia 800, (not sure about any other WPs), and a few Androids.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Richard Reyes wrote:

Other WP devices work as well without unlocking.
I am still unclear on this question, does an iPhone 5s locked to Telus work with Koodo? Can someone please give me an answer based on knowledge and experience themselves? Thanks
Userlevel 7
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

I am still unclear on this question, does an iPhone 5s locked to Telus work with Koodo? Can someo...

yes it will
Userlevel 4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

I am still unclear on this question, does an iPhone 5s locked to Telus work with Koodo? Can someo...

Telus and Koodo use the same network. Koodo is actually a daughter company of Telus.. basically, the same company. Occasionally, my phone will actually link up to the Telus network, even though I'm a Koodo user. You should have no problems at all!
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

Thank you very much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

I've tested it and it worked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

I have also personally tested it. No issues.
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

My son dropped his iPhone 5s that is on the koodo network. I can get it repaired for $170, or I can buy an iPhone 5s on kijiji for $200 OBO, however, the kijiji phone is locked to Telus. Could it be as simple as taking the sim card out of broken iPhone and dropping it into the new kijiji iPhone? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

Yes. It could be as simple as that! Test it before you buy it just to make sure the phone isn't blacklisted or something
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

Thanks! Robert. Goodbye Koodo kiosk hello Kijiji vendor. Have a great weekend!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

I would've done the same thing. But sometimes phones are cheaper on Kijiji for a reason. Make sure you don't buy crap 🙂

Check if it isn't stolen : http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/
Userlevel 7
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

$200 for a 5S.... This is why people get scammed. They see these and think "woo a great deal" and then they end up with a useless phone that won't work because its stolen. More than likely its a stolen phone. Who quoted you $170 to fix your sons phone because Apple does it for less
Userlevel 5
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

You can get them for, asking price $200 at pawn shops. I saw one, locked to Rogers, no charger, no cable, gouge between speaker and camera. AND apparently even if it was stolen, iPhone can be jail breaked for $50 max Hahaha
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

Stolen or not, if it's blacklisted and jailbroken, what can you do? Nothing. OR am I wrong?
Userlevel 5
Brian Van-Huynh wrote:

That's the SALES PITCH I got .if it's stolen it's only with physical parts