Koodo Community
Solved

Why No ALERT READY Messages to my iPhone?

I am following up on an issue discussed with one of your agents this morning... Since I started to use my iPhone 7 in September of last year I stopped receiving the Canada Wireless Public Alerting ALERT READY messages.  I purchased this phone from Koodo last year.  (My Koodo account # is 21193794)  I contacted Apple Support to ask about Guberman Alerts.  Their response was that Koodo, Telus and all wireless service providers have an obligation to immediately forward each alert to their customers, and you don’t need a third party app to do it.  Please PHONE ME today to resolve this issue, before I contact the government and Pemorex to complain.  See https://www.alertready.ca

- BL

icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 10 July 2020, 23:45

What is “Guberman Alerts”? I am in BC and haven’t received any alert since last Sept. People around me haven’t received anything either.

Also, who is “Pemorex”? what can it do about alert ready stuff?

I think they're trying to say Government alerts.

Pelmorex is one of several parties involved in the development of the alert ready system. I doubt that there is anything they can do, since regulations only state that alerts must be sent out, not that all phones must receive them. If any phone in the area received the alert, (which they must have, or else how would the o.p. know there was an alert at all), then it was sent out and koodo has fulfilled their responsibility.

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I will flag this issue for a Rep to look into if there's an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What is “Guberman Alerts”? I am in BC and haven’t received any alert since last Sept. People around me haven’t received anything either.

Userlevel 6

Hi, thanks for the flag. 

@PublicAlertReady can you please check if your phone is set up correctly? 

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. Scroll to the very bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Government Alerts, turn the type of alert on. 

What did our colleagues suggest over the phone? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Cell phone providers don't push out alerts individually to each phone. They push them out to the towers, and then every phone connected to that tower receives the alert. Note that your phone must be connected to a 4G network at the time the alert is valid. It won't receive it when connected to 3G.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think they're trying to say Government alerts.

Pelmorex is one of several parties involved in the development of the alert ready system. I doubt that there is anything they can do, since regulations only state that alerts must be sent out, not that all phones must receive them. If any phone in the area received the alert, (which they must have, or else how would the o.p. know there was an alert at all), then it was sent out and koodo has fulfilled their responsibility.

It took hours to work out what “Guberman Alerts” really was.  A very kind and helpful Koodo employee asked me to look down the list of notifications produced bu all the apps on my phone, for one that sounded to my ears like "Guberman Alerts”.  Later, when I had contacted Apple support they had me look down the same list of apps that produce notifications for one called “Government Alerts”.  Eventually I realized that Guberman Alerts = Government Alerts.  

And Pelmorex is the name of the company that the Harper government chose for the ALERT READY system.  https://www.alertready.ca

I typed Pelmorex quickly, and accidentally dropped the L before the M.

Thanks for sharing about no messages out in BC.  And that’s earthquake country!

My last comment is this.  I think maybe Apple is eager to cover up their own incompetence, with regard to this issue.  The last word the senior support advisor gave was that “Engineering says you don’t need "Government Alerts” software on your phone, because the alerts should go to your phone directly from the wireless carrier.  Yet, both a Koodo support person and she had expected me to see “Government Alerts” on the list.

And then she sent to me an email with this link, which says the same thing.  https://support.apple.com/kb/HT202743

So, then the Koodo person called me again.  After hearing chapter three of my story, including a reminder that this is an obligation, mandated by law, to sound alerts on my device, she told me I could wait 30 minutes for tech support.  After 30 minutes I got five minutes of a ringing phone in my ear, just after 5 pm.  Gee, thanks a lot Koodo!  

In total that was at least four hours of telephone conversations to try to resolve an issue that rightfully belongs to the federal government, Pelmorex, Koodo (and Telus) and possibly Apple…  but I’m left to do all the leg work after 9 months with ZERO Alerts.

Cell phone providers don't push out alerts individually to each phone. They push them out to the towers, and then every phone connected to that tower receives the alert. Note that your phone must be connected to a 4G network at the time the alert is valid. It won't receive it when connected to 3G.

I don’t buy that, or at least if 4G is required, why was I receiving alerts no problem, wherever I was, with or without WiFi on an Android phone between the startup of ALERT READY in 2018 and late August of last year?  I’m sure you realize that this is a serious matter for civilian safety.  It requires a foolproof system, not too dependent in being near the right tower for the right ping to your right phone, with the right settings…  That’s nuts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

PS  Koodo, this issue is most certainly not “SOLVED”.  Please correct the misleading heading.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You also seem to imply that Koodo has dropped the ball by not providing alerts to customers in BC, but the fact is, also per the alert ready site, BC has not issued any alerts either in 2019 or 2020.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks.  I saw that page too.  But it’s the printed interpretation of that paragraph, circled in red, which interests me.  It implies that I need to turn on my data (even when WiFi is on) and wait for it to go from 4G or 3G to LTE before I can expect to receive an incoming alert.  That’s nuts.  And it was most certainly not the case when I used an Android.

Thanks, but I already studied this page too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks.  I saw that page too.  But it’s the printed interpretation of that paragraph, circled in red, which interests me.  It implies that I need to turn on my data (even when WiFi is on) and wait for it to go from 4G or 3G to LTE before I can expect to receive an incoming alert.  That’s nuts.  And it was most certainly not the case when I used an Android.

Maybe you had another AlertReady capable app like the weather app that provided the alert?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Maybe you had another AlertReady capable app like the weather app that provided the alert?

Your phone will choose Wi-Fi over LTE, if available. If you are choosing to turn off LTE while connected to Wi-Fi, then you will not receive cellular-based notifications. If receiving such notifications is important to you, you should ensure you have a secondary app, such as Dennis suggested, and set it to meet your notification expectations.

BTW, to my knowledge, there is no ‘government alerts’ section on Canadian iPhones settings.

Userlevel 2

Hi there! If you have more questions for us, feel free to reach out to us by sending a private message on Social Media, from your Facebook or Twitter account. Thank you.

I checked for compatibility and I looked over all the documents you have presented much earlier in the week.  YES, my phone is compatible.  YES, it is up to date.  And YES, it is still not receiving alerts.   

I certainly didn’t install an app to facilitate ALERT READY on my android phone (back in 2018), and according to the information at https://www.alertready.ca (posted copiously by another user) I don’t need an app.  Apple’s tech engineers said the same thing.  I have been waiting to speak to Koodo’s tech support team about this issue, but no luck so far.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I certainly didn’t install an app to facilitate ALERT READY on my android phone (back in 2018), and according to the information at https://www.alertready.ca (posted copiously by another user) I don’t need an app.  Apple’s tech engineers said the same thing.  I have been waiting to speak to Koodo’s tech support team about this issue, but no luck so far.  

Im referring your android phone.  You may not have purposefully downloaded an app for the purpose for AlertReady, but you may have had an app that had this functionality (for example your weather app)