Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why is there no unlimited data plans


32 replies

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.
Userlevel 6
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

Unlimited is very well possible with the equipment already in place. They just won't sell it a price people would be willing to pay for. Quite the difference between the two.
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

If Internet Service Providers do not offer Unlimited data, then mobile providers won't. That's why it's not a possibility.
Userlevel 6
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

We both agree they won't. We disagree on the other front.
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

thats bull aliant has unlimited internet 62 a month why cant a phone  i have no need for sms or phone calls as long i have data  fb messenger all i need

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

Show us online where we can get this
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KaneSlavik wrote:

Because unlimited data is not a possibility.

Tek Savvy in Chatham has it. we get unlimited Data usage, at 10pm-7am our speeds are throttled by 250kpb/second. We usually get anywhere from 20-30Mbps so its not a big deal. But there is unlimited Data plans. Just gotta ask. You dont start with this plan, it was offered to us so others who want to keep their fullspeeds 24/7 can. I play PS4 all the time and it doesnt effect it at all. As soon as more companies start doing Unlimited, Mobile companies will as well. its only a matter of time.
Userlevel 1
Data is at a premium, because it's what everybody wants, thus the only way these companies can make money off of you is with data, not talk and text anymore. As such, an unlimited data plan would never be offered, unless of course you are willing to pay well into the triple digits per month to have it. In that case, you might as well get limited data and just pay the overages for anything you use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is not even unlimited data for your home internet
Userlevel 3
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

Depends who you're with 🙂. Our local carrier doesn't have data caps YAY! :oD
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

Rogers and Bell both offer unlimited home internet now. Not sure about Telus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

My home ISP (Teksavvy) has either 300 GB or unlimited.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

Stupid Shaw internet lol Of course unlimited does cost way more too
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

The most Shaw does is bump you up a package, no?
Dennis wrote:

There is not even unlimited data for your home internet

aliant has unlimited internet so ya they do  62$ month 900k/s downloads

Userlevel 2
Well, how much are you willing to pay for an unlimited data plan? Whatever that sum is, it's not high enough... Well, that's not true... if you were willing to pay $129,600.00 a month, you could get an unlimited data plan. But at that price, you might as well erect your own towers because it'll be cheaper for you in the long run.
Userlevel 1
If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone via Wifi and so would everyone else, watching NetFlix and and doing other high bandwidth activities. [b]Soon, you'd have unlimited data that was so over subscribed it wouldn't work at all for anyone. No cell tower has the capacity to handles the demands that would be placed on it by such an offering so it shall never happen. The end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

I don't think so. There may be some who would do that, but your smartphone isn't the most efficient router. To do this, you'd have to leave it plugged in and it would always be running hot. And I wouldn't bet on that phone lasting a very long time in such usage.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Ivan, there are purpose made cellular data routers meant for just this purpose (very common in other countries and even in Canada Rogers offers them but not with unlimited data). I only used tethering as an example. Simply take an unlocked cellular router and put your Koodo SIM in it and you could supply data to the whole neighbourhood if unlimited plans existed so they never will. In fact one lady recently did this without meaning to by not putting a password on the Wifi side of her Rogers cellular router and got a bill for over $800 from her neighbours helping themselves to it. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wi-fi-piggybackers-rack-up-800-on-senior-s-rogers-bill-1.2577859
Userlevel 7
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Steve, that example in no way applies to mobile tethering whatsoever. What she did was a common mistake by many setting up a home internet connection. However, tetheting on phones requires you to create a password so the problem you're saying would happen, won't. It would if the password was given out (and if mobile phones could tether past your house LOL) then I could see it being a problem.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Ahmad: Yes it's very much related as she was using a "Rocket Hub" which basically takes cellular data and rebroadcasts it via Wifi (same a tethering does). Someone said no worries about people abusing unlimited data via tethering as the phone would over heat -- my point was then why wouldn't you then simply use a "Rocket Hub" (or many similar devices) that do the same thing to exploit unlimited data if it was available (and therefore it never will be). So I don't understand how you can say [i][b]"that example in no way applies to mobile tethering whatsoever" when in fact the Rocket hub type of device (and many other similar devices) do exactly the same thing as tethering but without the phone. In any event, [b]I wish people would stop posting about "unlimited data" as it is never going to happen as it would be abused (if was truly unlimited) and I wish Koodo would offer "somewhat unlimited data" with aggressive traffic shaping after a certain threshold so that they could offer us a plan were you never had to worry about overages and we'd even let them get away with calling unlimited when it really wan't as Wind certainly gets away with this .
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

I wouldn't go so far as to say never, but it isn't happening anytime soon, primarily due to the network capacity issues you've already mentioned. The data carrying capacity of the cell network needs to increase by a factor of at least 10 or 20 before it is even feasible to offer unlimited data.
Userlevel 7
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Again, though, even using the rocket hub, you won't be able to share wifi with your whole neighbourhood. Good luck getting the signal past your house. I do agree with your second paragraph though. Completely.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Ahmad: That's completely irrelevant and off topic. People would find a way to abuse it, how the range of a rocket hub matters for this topic - I don't know (but obviously the little old lady in the news story had enough range on her rocket hub for her neighbours to use it), the end.
Userlevel 6
Steve wrote:

If it was truly unlimited I would discontinue my home Internet service and just tether my phone v...

Steve, although I have absolutely nothing personal against you, ending every reply with "the end" only makes you look stubborn instead of open for discussion. Discussion is bidirectional, you have to expect opinions and comments that don't perfectly align with yours. While I appreciate your input, said input sounds harsh to other commenters.

Reply