Koodo Community

Community

Question

Why is my itunes accounts using extreme amounts of data on iphone 5s?

My iphone 5s is using extreme amounts of cellular data.  Discovered it was coming from iTunes accounts under system services.  I'm not even using iTunes and have cellular data turned off for the app store

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What is 'Extreme'?
Are you using iCloud services to sync or manage calendars, email, passwords, safari bookmarks or other iCloud services?
Are you streaming music, or using Apple Music?

David wrote:

What is 'Extreme'?
Are you using iCloud services to sync or manage calendars, email, passwords, s...

1. ilovethis[b][i]

I used close to 1 gb in 2 days.  I'm not using icloud.  I'm not streaming music or using apple music
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
buddy wrote:

I used close to 1 gb in 2 days.  I'm not using icloud.  I'm not streaming music or usin...

Did your phone do an update of the operating system?

buddy wrote:

I used close to 1 gb in 2 days.  I'm not using icloud.  I'm not streaming music or usin...

No, it keeps prompting me to do the new update but I haven't yet
Userlevel 6
buddy wrote:

It might be "downloading" the update behind the scenes over cellular data and then prompting you to install it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
buddy wrote:

@titaniumtux
   That would be my guess as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where did you look to find this information? Are you looking at it on your phone's data usage charts? If so that system doesn't reset so it shows you data usage from since you first got your phone. It has to be manually reset every month.
I manually reset it yesterday.  that's why I noticed where the data usage was coming from.  Never had an issue with this before and I haven't changed any settings to create this problem

Found the data usage under settings-cellular-system services
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are a bunch of little reasons why this could be happening. I would suggest looking through the apple forums and trying some of their suggestions.
Here is a place to start:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/52943
I installed the new update.  Everything seems to be fine now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
buddy wrote:

I installed the new update.  Everything seems to be fine now.

Glad to hear it's all fixed! If you have any more questions just let us know!
I've had the exact same problem except I have the newest update and my phone is still zapping data! I've scoured the internet trying to find a solution and can't. PLEASE HELP!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
helpmeplz wrote:

I've had the exact same problem except I have the newest update and my phone is still zapping dat...

How much data are you seeing consumed?
helpmeplz wrote:

I've had the exact same problem except I have the newest update and my phone is still zapping dat...

My newest billing cycle started and I had my data on for maybe a few hours and it took over 300MB out of the 700MB I have! So I shut off data until I find a solution
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
helpmeplz wrote:

Did you try some of the suggestions in the link mentioned earlier? https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/52943
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
helpmeplz wrote:

300 MB is not necessarily a lot of data, especially f you are streaming or have a music subscription which is matching your music library, or updating applications.
helpmeplz wrote:

Yeah I have tried all of them to no avail, it's left me really defeated and I wish I could trade in this phone for an android
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
helpmeplz wrote:

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? If you do, I'd advise you to have someone in store look at this for you.