Koodo Community
Solved

Why is Facebook using MASSIVE amounts of data?

Brand new iphone 8. With Koodo on a 6 gig plan. Have not changed my behaviour at all and had NEVER run out of data. Wifi assist is off. HD vids/photos off. Background refresh, off. No push notifications. This all seems to be coming from the Facebook app which has eaten 4 gigs in 2 days. I'm on wifi all day at work and wifi all night at home. I spent 37 minutes on the Facebook app yesterday and it ate 2 gigs in 2 minutes. I'm not even watching vids. Anyone had this experience? Is it a Facebook problem? Apple? Service provider? Screen shot of data usage below.

icon

Best answer by David AKU 13 December 2018, 16:59

Yes, Facebook is notorious for data consumption. There is an option to turn off auto play of videos in the Facebook App settings, which may make a difference.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
HD vids may be off but are you watching lost of videos on there?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, Facebook is notorious for data consumption. There is an option to turn off auto play of videos in the Facebook App settings, which may make a difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
2gb in 2 minutes is still absurdly high, even for Facebook, and is damn near impossible. Do you literally mean 2gb was used in 2 minutes / 120 seconds?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah definitely turn off auto-play on videos in your feed.

iOS people: is Facebook Lite (the lightweight version of Facebook--still official app but uses less storage and less data) available for iPhones? I have used the Android version in the past and it was a lot leaner.