Koodo Community
Question

Why do I not qualify for the Tab?

I opened a monthly account (paying via pre-authorized debit every month) in October 2018 with Koodo on a sim-only plan. I went into a store yesterday to ask about adding a phone on the Tab to my account, but was told I do not qualify as I don't have a credit history with Koodo (despite already being on an automatic credit account service with them?!). They arranged a callback this morning and after spending 30 minutes on hold with them, I was finally advised that I would need to spend ANOTHER 6 months on my current plan with them before I could be considered credit-worthy enough to qualify for this service. This seem incredibly counterintuitive to luring in new customers and does not match up to my housemate who managed to get this approved after only 6 months. Is this correct? Can Koodo not just perform a standard credit check through the normal mechanisms? Are there any phone networks who may be more accomodating considering I have a perfect credit score..

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Liam123 It's all done! You can order a new phone now, if you want to save a few dollars, you should do it online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Liam123 No Liam. We have all your info.
@Liam123 The rep you talked to should have upgraded your eligibility since you now meet the conditions. Let us look into and fix things up.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. Bernard, do you need any details from me to look into this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Liam123 The rep you talked to should have upgraded your eligibility since you now meet the conditions. Let us look into and fix things up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It should be 6 months to each credit class. No tab, 6 months, S and M, 6 months, L.
Of course only generally speaking. There are other things that can affect not being eligible to get bumped up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you weren't on spending limit and you already asked the agent, then there could be some issue with your credit score or something else with it.

You could either ask to be on spending limit program or ask the agent to check again and give more specific reason for the denial.
Userlevel 4
Also, it seems like the qualifications for a credit "upgrade" from Spending limit (with no Tab) to up to Tab M are "smaller" than an eligibility upgrade from Tab M to L.

If you're eligible for a Tab M but not L, that would be why. I think I remember someone saying that SLP to Tab M was 6 to 8 months of consecutive payments on time while Tab M to Tab L was up to 14 months... but I can't find that thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. As far as I'm aware, I'm not on any spending limit program. My bills so far have been:

1. Oct 18
  2. Nov 18
  3. Dec 18
  4. Jan 19
  5. Feb 19
  6. Mar 19
  7. Apr 19 (just issued on Apr 25th)
All have been paid on time and some have included foreign roaming charges (if that may have been affected by the spending limit program). All but the first bill were collected automatically before the payment deadline by pre-authorized debit.

Any ideas?

What happens when you try to order a phone on tab via the webstore ?
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. As far as I'm aware, I'm not on any spending limit program. My bills so far have been:

1. Oct 18
  2. Nov 18
  3. Dec 18
  4. Jan 19
  5. Feb 19
  6. Mar 19
  7. Apr 19 (just issued on Apr 25th)
All have been paid on time and some have included foreign roaming charges (if that may have been affected by the spending limit program). All but the first bill were collected automatically before the payment deadline by pre-authorized debit.

Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Were you on their spending limit program? if so, you need to wait for a text that you are eligible. It might happen soon as you almost reach 6th bill. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/spending-limit-program
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to be clear are you signed up with Koodo postpaid for at least 6 months? And within those 6 months you did not miss or have a single late payment?

When you login to self serve, do you see that you are on the spending limit program?
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/spending-limit-program