Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When will Koodo launch wifi calling for iPhone ?

The iPhone have wifi calling feature on Fido or virgin mobile, but not on Koodo mobile. This is a really nice feature for those people who have poor service but good wifi conditions. I am just wondering why Koodo refuse to launch this feature.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's not really a matter of "refusing to launch this feature" Jianje. Based on what we learnt from some of our customers (iphone or android) most of them already use third party apps (viber etc.) to leverage their wi-fi connection. We felt it would be redundant to launch something people readily have access to. 
Bernard wrote:

It's not really a matter of "refusing to launch this feature" Jianje. Based on what we learnt fro...

Not really. The third party apps cannot transfer my phone call , which call directly to my phone number. Third party apps requires me for the money to make a phone call, and if Koodo can launch this wifi calling , I can save more money on other add ons.
Userlevel 7
Bernard wrote:

It's not really a matter of "refusing to launch this feature" Jianje. Based on what we learnt fro...

Actually I do like Jianjie's idea. I'd like to have the function that Rogers offers with their One Number where I can log into their hub and use it for SMS and calls. Could be awesome features for Koodo to add and differentiate themselves from the different flanker brands. 
Userlevel 7
Bernard wrote:

Huh? That's not what he's talking about/that's not what wifi calling is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

@Jianjie Not quite sure if I follow....can you give me an example of how wi-fi calling would save you money on other add-ons? What could you drop that wi-fi calling would fill in? Also, it costs me zero dollars to use third party apps for calls, text etc. With Viber for example I call overseas, text and cost me nothing extra as long as I do it in wi-fi coverage.
@Mathieau based on Roger's One Number subscribers it seems that service is limited to niche pockets of the demographic. The demand just doesn't seem to be there.  
Userlevel 1
Bernard wrote:

I would live to have wifi calling as I love in an area with poor service. I pay for the third party app Nextplus which give me a different number. I am thinking about moving back to Bell so i
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Have you tried viber and the likes Jason? They are free and don't need a separate number either. What area do you live in? Just trying to get a sense of our coverage. 
Userlevel 4
Bernard wrote:

I would love to have the wifi calling my self where i can use my cell phone number i live in a area where the service is bad we need a cellphone tower in our area we are sending petitions to bell and the crtc and hope we get something in the next year or two
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Hello Bernard, I will try to explain how it differs from Viber et al. This implementation offloads the call from the network itself an routes it via a wi-fi Internet connection. This is generally done for areas of poor or no network coverage. Viber, like most VoIP apps, is only free to call other same app people. To call non Viber people, like actual phone numbers via Viber Out is not free. You also cannot be called like with Skype unless you buy a number. VoIP apps that let you contact others and be called or texted back require providing a phone number, and tend to either have free SMS, or free calls, not both. Viber is not a proper alternative to regular phone services. Skype numbers, Fongo and the like come closest. But then data is always required.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Thanks Goran! I understand how network based wi-fi calling works. That one is not currently in the plans for us. My suggestion was strictly for home based wi-fi calling when there is already internet in the home. Viber is just one of the many apps. Lots of people who have mobile phones have it. If not viber something else. As long as both parties have viber no purchase of a new number is required. I use viber not only for Canadian calls, but internationally as well. Works quite well. :-) 
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

First, WiFi calling and VoIP are two different things. They use different core technology and have different voice quality as well as different ways of access. They couldn't be replaced with one another. WiFi calling is not a redundant service. Second, another question, is Koodo still planning the launch of VoLTE?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

We will. When the tipping point for VoLTE capable devices reach levels that makes sense to us. When that will happen I can't tell you just yet given OEM dependency an other factors outside of our control.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

Thank you Bernard
Userlevel 4
Bernard wrote:

I would love to have wifi calling myself because i live in a area where the service is very poor but i like to use my own cellphone number on wifi calling to get calls from my work or family what's the next best thing with the wifi calling to use with my own cellphone number
Bernard wrote:

Do need this Servisi ce to guys. I am planing to move at Kodo from TELUS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Telus and Koodo are from the same company. What is the benefit of the threat? if they know you are just moving within the company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Gezim, are you have a problem with Koodo? We might be to help.
Userlevel 1
Hi Brenard, Thanks for the reply. I have tried many apps when I am out of the service area but all of them do cost money to use all features including viber. If we, as Koodo customers had access to wifi calling it wouldn't cost us any additional fee and avoid us having to use other apps for service of another number. Even to use call forwarding feature from Koodo to this app number is a fee of 3.00 per month form Koodo. In all honesty, how come a simple app company can provide such a service but its daunting task for Koodo? There are many people who would avail of this service. We all don't live in cities and towns where towers are everywhere but were customers too.
Userlevel 4
And it would save bell telus a lot of money instead of putting up more towers they could use the wifi calling and what about this 700 mhz spectrum they all bought to make the single go further from the towers and travel further can't seem to get any information on the 700 mhz band
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My recommendation for people for now is to use Fongo for VoIP, as you can call regular Canadian numbers from it for free.
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

My recommendation for people for now is to use Fongo for VoIP, as you can call regular Canadian n...

Another choice is Google Hangouts for iOS and Google Hangouts Dialer for Android. They can be used to make free calls to landline, cell phone and 800 numbers throughout USA and Canada. Android users should download both.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

My recommendation for people for now is to use Fongo for VoIP, as you can call regular Canadian n...

The advantage of Fongo is that you get a Canadian number that can accept incoming calls.
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

Fongo is good if you live in one of the province that have that area codes they offer. Even then you have another number. Wifi calling uses your own number and you also receive sms and calls from your orginal number. You can receive calls and sms with fongo but You have to pay addition fees and having to use a second number which is not the same at all. . Plus you won't receive your sms for your mobile number. I don't think there is another service app that will do this other than Koodo providi g the wifi calling feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Fongo remains my favourite. It does suck that you have to pay for sms, but everyone monetizes their apps somehow. If you need sms more than voice, use one that's free sms. If voice use Fongo. If you need both then until Koodo implements it I suggest getting people to use BBM, Whatsapp, or others for messaging. It sucks and isn't what you're ideally looking for, but for now it's your best bet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would like to add for Bernard to perhaps pass upward that Koodo is drawing the wrong conclusion that people who have poor reception don't need and/or want wi-fi calling, thus the lack of demand justifies not doing it yet. I would suggest rather that because of a lack of wi-fi calling, people have to go to third party options, or also do so to be in touch with people outside of Canada. Perhaps sending out a short survey to a few thousand people nationwide or even a Koodo customers if done like customer satisfaction post 611 calls via SMS would give a better idea than attempting to analyze the usage of Rogers One of what Koodo customers need.