Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When new iPhone releases next week or shortly thereafter, will Koodo have it available to upgrade on day of release?

When the new iPhone (7 Plus) releases next week or shortly thereafter, will Koodo have it available to upgrade on day of release? and can I use my tab credit ($144.71) and pay the rest of the balance and keep my current $57 plan? I don't want any balance on any of the tabs.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes You can keep your plan and pay off your tab with the following caveats: 1. Do not get a tab large plan or you will have to change plans. Also not worth it over 24 months in general due to more expensive plans. 2. You will need to wait 90 days before fully paying off the tab you incur. Suppose to prevent people spamming sales/deals on tabs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
iPhones are typically made available immediately on release. Though you cannot pay out your tab immediately (see Goran's response), it's still going to be cheaper than buying outright when you pay out the tab after 90 days.
I see the same plan is on there as a sale $55 Unlimted everything except Data, has 2GB. I have the same plan now but pay $57.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

I see the same plan is on there as a sale $55 Unlimted everything except Data, has 2GB. I have th...

You can switch to the promo plan (if still available) after you use your tab credit. Switching to it now could result in the removal of the tab credit as new plans do not allow for accumulation of positive tab credits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

I see the same plan is on there as a sale $55 Unlimted everything except Data, has 2GB. I have th...

Unless it recently changed then you retain whatever positive balance you have accumulated once you change to a new plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Just make sure to check the price of overage data which may be alot more than your current plan and may be something to factor in if you ever go over your data cap.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@ Drew, now that it has been announced here are some FAQ re the order process for the iPhone 7: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/will-the-new-iphone-7-be-available-from-koodo?utm_sou...
Thank you for that!
Now I want to be clear how this will work. So I can put so much of the phone on the regular tab, isn't it $260? I also have a credit of $144.71.
Assuming the phone is around $1200, -$260, -$144.71, So would I need to pay $795.29 on the day of getting my phone, plus what ever apple care costs? Am I understanding this correctly? I just want to get a rough amount of what it will cost me on the day to upgrade...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!
Now I want to be clear how this will work. So I can put so much of the phone ...

Tab medium is 360, otherwise you are correct!
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!
Now I want to be clear how this will work. So I can put so much of the phone ...

If I don't want Medium or Large Tab, when I first signed up, there was just the 'Tab' and I put so much on there, I thought it was $260.
I don't like the plans that are offered for the larger tabs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

The current tab medium only requires a 40 dollar plan, 35 in Quebec, to use. I would also stay away from the tab large plans. Tab medium is 360, and tab small is 240. If you want to keep whatever plan you have that is less than 40 (it probably isn't as good in terms of data at the current data promo plan rates) then it'll have to be tab small for 240.
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

Ok, thats what I thought but now I see Koodo's preorder page for the phones online now. I am looking for the iPhone 7 Plus 32GB, and there is no option for small tab, or is that just a given that I can put $240 on it?
Thats why I am getting confused as I don't see the regular tab on any option for the phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

Hmm I just looked myself as well and it does appear that Koodo isn't making it an option to use tab small for the time being. That could change after the pre-order but that's just speculation on my part.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

That phone is only available with Tab Medium and Tab Large, hence the reason why you don't see Tab Small option Drew.
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

Ok I wanted to clarify that.
So it will cost my much more if I want to upgrade and stay with koodo then, lovely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

I see now you said your plan is 57 dollars originally. I don't understand why you don't want tab medium then as it will work without you needing to change plans. Is it the 2gb one? The current promo plans are even slightly cheaper and it would likely benefit you to swap. Unlimited talk plus 2gb is currently 55 a month. Also it would be more upfront yes but not cost more. You still pay the same I've 24 !months and if it is too much you could use a line of credit or credit card if you really want it.
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

My current plan is $57, unlimited everything except data, I have 2GB.

I would just rather not have to pay an extra $15 a month for 24 months on top of my current plan $55+, locks me in even more. I pay for 2 phones, my partner has an iPhone as well, so that cost adds up quick.

My quick Calculations...

2 x $670 (+tax) = $1,541  |   $1,541 - 210.47 (Credit Balance) = $1,330.53 (Up front Cost)

Monthly Plan: 2 x $55 + $30 (Tab Medium x2) = $161 Monthly after tax.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

Well it's not much but the same plan except for maybe bigger data overage rate is now available for 55. That's the cost of wanting thousand dollar phones; you pay now or you pay later. Either way, you're going to pay. I wouldn't see it as locking you in more personally because you're paying the same over 24 months no matter what ,whether outright or 360 of the total spread out. It's not like a cancellation fee or anything like that.
DrewJohnston wrote:

Thank you for that!

True, and I remember what I had to pay for my iPhone plan when I was with Telus... and that was a fair amount more. So I need to decide just when I will upgrade. Thanks