Koodo Community
Question

When is Koodo supporting eSIM for iPhone XR/Xs/Xs Max?

• 25 April 2019
  • 17 replies

Now that Rogers/ Fido has rolled out eSIM for the new iPhones today (https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/fido-esim-iphone-xr-iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max/), Telus/Koodo is the only one left behind among the big three...

Is Telus/Koodo even remotely close to having a timeline for eSIM...? 😥

17 replies

Userlevel 2
They need to support RCS first. At least 2 years until eSIM.

Since this is a Self Serve brand, and customers provide customer service, maybe they should also let customers implement these features. It would cost very little, which is all Koodo wants, and it would certainly be done much faster with less bugs. 😏
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
God knows. Maybe a couple years. Maybe longer. I'm sure at some point Koodo will do it, but Koodo tends to be last with features so I'd start the clock only after Virgin/Fido d it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo's parent, Telus has not implemented eSIM yet. Koodo will likely follow sometime later.
Umm. How do you think the Apple Watch is provisioned? (eSIM)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think he meant not implemented it yet for smartphones.

Umm. How do you think the Apple Watch is provisioned? (eSIM)I think he meant not implemented it yet for smartphones.

Well, if they've been supporting any of the dual-SIM Android phones, then eSIM's really no different from a plan/logistics standpoint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Umm. How do you think the Apple Watch is provisioned? (eSIM)I think he meant not implemented it yet for smartphones.
Well, if they've been supporting any of the dual-SIM Android phones, then eSIM's really no different from a plan/logistics standpoint.

@fischersd I don't follow. Most Android phones with dual SIM are dual traditional SIM slots and from the carrier's perspective are no different than a single SIM phone. eSIM is an entirely different beast not at all related to dual non-e-SIM phones.
I think he meant not implemented it yet for smartphones.
@fischersd I don't follow. Most Android phones with dual SIM are dual traditional SIM slots and from the carrier's perspective are no different than a single SIM phone. eSIM is an entirely different beast not at all related to dual non-e-SIM phones.

Actually, the provisioning is typically the same. You could use the eSIM for your home carrier, then use the physical SIM slot for when you're travelling. (only one data path can be live at a time) (or vis-versa)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@fischersd okay I admit I probably spoke a little too authoritatively without the background knowledge. That said, given that carriers issue their own SIM cards and control the SIM card numbers issued, and that those physical cards are generally "single use" cards and can't be used at other carriers other than the issuing carrier, not re-used again within the same carrier after deactivation, and that eSIMs are issued once, burned into the phone by the manufacturer prior to shipping, are these not a totally different beast from the carrier perspective? Do they not need to open up the ability to accept numbers outside of their control, re-accept a number if someone moves to another carrier and then later returns, etc? I would think there would be some fairly significant implementation details in the back end systems. However, this is 100% speculation on my part, and I should have been clear about that in my previous response as well.
@fischersd okay I admit I probably spoke a little too authoritatively without the background knowledge. That said, given that carriers issue their own SIM cards and control the SIM card numbers issued, and that those physical cards are generally "single use" cards and can't be used at other carriers other than the issuing carrier, not re-used again within the same carrier after deactivation, and that eSIMs are issued once, burned into the phone by the manufacturer prior to shipping, are these not a totally different beast from the carrier perspective? Do they not need to open up the ability to accept numbers outside of their control, re-accept a number if someone moves to another carrier and then later returns, etc? I would think there would be some fairly significant implementation details in the back end systems. However, this is 100% speculation on my part, and I should have been clear about that in my previous response as well.
It would be if it was actually new to the carriers. Telus and Bell enabled eSIM provisioning when they launched the Apple Watch 3.
Rogers waited until the Apple Watch 4 (making some excuse about waiting for more open standards, despite being our legacy GSM carrier and that the eSIM provisioning had been standardized by the GSM alliance years before). I'm thinking they were having a power struggle with Apple and their ploy didn't work, so they grudgingly gave in a year later.
The only thing new about this is using eSIMs for the phones...the provisioning should be the same (you're not going to have both the physical SIM and the eSIM active at the same time on the same carrier...really no point - it's not like it gives you an additional radio to use).
The one really good thing (that will eventually come to pass) is that, when all of the carriers around the world support eSIMs, you should be able to just load additional carrier profiles on your phone and it'll switch as you travel. No more SIM card slot, it's entirely in software with secure tokens sent to your device by the carriers.
Hopefully they use geo-fencing to enable the profiles (and prompt the sale of them) - ie - you land at the airport, you get a pop-up on your phone (if you don't already have a local carrier profile loaded) showing you what carrier bundles are available for you.

Now if we only could get the Canadian carriers to realize that the data buckets for all of our devices should be shared....as eSIMs are only going to become more and more common (initially laptops, tablets, cars, but eventually all of your IoT devices).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also Koodo tends to announce things only just before they launch. Don't expect to ehar anything until it basically comes out.
Userlevel 2
This thread and my comment are still standing? Koodo Rep is MIA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This thread and my comment are still standing? Koodo Rep is MIA.
Congratulations!, it was a proof that you are getting better.
Userlevel 3
Freedom Mobile now supports eSIM.

Choose Happy
Freedom Mobile now supports eSIM.

Choose Happy

Welp, now that just makes the situation even more awkward for TELUS/Koodo…
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Feeedom needs something to get new customers, that's why