Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When is it too late to put my water-damaged iPhone 5s in rice?

My phone got dipped in the bathtub for a few seconds, I thought I got it out in time. But when I started charging it again after it died, I can't do anything on the screen. It happened around 10pm, I covered it in rice around 3:30 am. I'm pretty sure it's too late, but I'm prone to panic attacks and needed to do *something*. Am I too late?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unfortunately it is probably too late at this point. The most likely reason it stopped working is that residual moisture caused something to short out when you tried to charge it. With that said, the worst case scenario from putting it in rice is that it will do nothing, so have at it.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Unfortunately it is probably too late at this point. The most likely reason it stopped working is...

Yeah, I kinda figured. I can laugh at it *now*, I actually got a grain of rice in the plug where you charge it, so even if it worked I'd have to take it in anyway lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Unfortunately it is probably too late at this point. The most likely reason it stopped working is...

yeah Timo is probably right. But there is the slight chance the rice is still going to help. Never add electricity*( plugging it in ) to a phone you just dunked. Just incase it happens in the future. As that right there, could have sealed the phones fate. . Best of luck getting it working!
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Hey Sarah! Happened to me last year, put my iPhone 5 in rice 12 hours later. There was still water in the camera and the screen had bubbles it in but it got better within a few days. I eventually changed my phone a few months later but it was still working. Do you have AppleCare+? If you do, you can take an appointment with Apple and pay the fee for a replacement phone.  All the best 🙂
Update: I put it in rice anyway, didn't seem to do much. Just left it alone for the day, and it's working again! Thanks everyone for your comments! ^_^