Koodo Community

Community

Question

when is Easy Roam charged

is easy roam charged minute you power up your phone. or is it when you send a text or call, or use data? I'm unsure as to when the easy roam is considered activated.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Once you make/receive a call, send a text or use data. Then it stays active for 24 hours.
Userlevel 7
Note that you won't get charged if someone calls you and you don't answer. You only get charged when:
You use data
You accept (answer) an incoming call
You place an outgoing call
You send a text message
You check your voicemail

You don't get charged when:
You receive a text message
You decline an incoming call or ignore an incoming call
Userlevel 6
@Mathieu that's an excellent answer.
Nicely answered, thank you!  
I apologize for my lack of knowledge here but, what if my daughters receive a text via iMessage on their iPhones?  
I believe the majority of the iMessage texts are sent via wifi or data, but I have data blocked on their plans.  Will that activate their Easy Roam?
Thank you in advance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Orescan wrote:

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here but, what if my daug...

Either their messages won't show up until they connect to Wi-Fi, or they will arrive as an SMS. EasyRoam will start once they reply.

Chris Orescan wrote:

Thank you David, I appreciate that!
Chris Orescan wrote:

I am in the USA. I have Easy roam on my phone. I only use my phone for texting and emails when Wifi is available. I am still being charged the $7.00 on some days. I have the Cellular Data and the Celluar Raoming turned off on  phone. Is there another setting I need t change so I don't get charged?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Orescan wrote:

"I only use my phone for texting and emails when Wifi is available."

- You will get charged when you used/sent a text.
Chris Orescan wrote:

Marie it sounds like you should remove easy roam from your add ons if all you want to do is use wifi and text. Sending a text will start an easy roam charge. Use the pay per use rates for texting which will get you 100 texts for $5 per billing cycle. You need to remove easy roam to use pay per use rates.
Chris Orescan wrote:

I have the same problem as Marie, but I want my phone on and connected to a US network to be able to receive important calls.  On a recent visit to the US I had data roaming turned OFF, did not make or receive any phonecalls or texts but I was still charged $7/day.  What am I doing wrong?  I tried talking to a Koodo agent, but he had no answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Orescan wrote:

@Alan K: there must be something from your phone that triggered easyroam. Have you checked your bill and see which event it was?. If you saw very little of data consumed (0.01MB) or something strange in the bill, you could contact Koodo and dispute them.

Where/when did you try to contact Koodo? I would suggest you send message to their facebook/twitter to avoid the wait on phone.
Chris Orescan wrote:

Looking at my bill, there were small data charges each day  (100 MB or less).  I'm wondering if they are from app updates?   I have now gone through all my apps and turned off background data (except for the Samsung apps that do not have that option).  I'll see how that works on my trip to Texas next week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Orescan wrote:

@AlanK: 100MB was not a small amount. You might not turn off mobile data correcly during that trip. Some apps might have run in the background (email/location service/Google sync service...)

I would go to Settings --> More network (or data usage) --> Mobile Data --> turn if Off.
Chris Orescan wrote:

@Alan next time as well as turning data roaming off you should also turn off your data. If you had data roaming off and data was what caused the $7 easy roam charge then you should contact Koodo to dispute. I suggest calling *611 from your Koodo phone instead of waiting for Koodo to reply to a Facebook/Twitter message.