Koodo Community

Community

Solved

what kind of phone do I need???

I run a food truck and need a phone that I can use for card reader for debit and credit cards.Dont talk alot on the phone (use Skype for that).What is a good phone (not to complicated for this old timer) and what kind of plan do I need ??(is that kind of use data??)

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Any Andoird or IPhone will do. There's nothing special required about the phone. You just need a plan with data in order for you to use card reader payment services. I
But for an old timer I find it all very confusing. Any phones easier that my flip one??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
robert wrote:

But for an old timer I find it all very confusing. Any phones easier that my flip one??

I am not aware of services which will process debit cards through a cell phone. Square (one of the big suppliers) only does credit cards. Make sure you can meet your needs with a cell phone before you jump in. You may need to get one of the cellular enabled credit / debit card terminals to meet your needs.

If you already have a point of sale device which connects to a phone through a cable, then likely any phone will do, as Ahmad says. Or you might look at one of the data only plans from Telus, and acquire a cellular router.
Userlevel 7
robert wrote:

Easier than flip phone? Not really. It needs to be a smartphone; an android or iPhone. Any of the Samsung devices, LG G4, Moto X play, iPhone 5S, 6, etc etc etc
CIBC offers a debit/credit card reader for $50. per month && Cost of machine is $99.What I don't know is every transaction data??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
robert wrote:

CIBC offers a debit/credit card reader for $50. per month && Cost of machine is $99.What ...

Transaction data volumes would be fairly small, on the order of a few KB of data. Your simplest option might be the cellular enabled POS card readers like used by Pizza Delivery folks.
Userlevel 7
robert wrote:

CIBC offers a debit/credit card reader for $50. per month && Cost of machine is $99.What ...

It doesn't use a lot of data per transaction but depending on how many transactions you do a month, you may need more or less data. 1GB plan is a safe amount to start at
Don't think the POS cards read debit cards that's the problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
robert wrote:

Don't think the POS cards read debit cards that's the problem

So what device do you plan to use to read cards?

see previous posts
Userlevel 3
TD has a device that can read debit and credit. Do a search for TD Merchant Services. It's a POS (point of sale, not piece of s't). It uses your data and your phone can track how much data it uses. My coworker has one for his side business.
Its probably the same one being offered by CIBC but I will look into it and thanks