Koodo Community

Community

Solved

wasting data

Why does data have to be activated on apple 4s to send text and go online even when wifi is available? Is there a way to just ue wifi and not waste data?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
iMessages can user either Wifi or data. Doesn't matter. Text messages don't need data at all.
I found out you need 3G on to make calls or text and can have data turned off.
Userlevel 7
If you are making phone calls on your phone, you don't need to have data activated in order to call. Phone calls and text messages (not iMessage) use the voice network in order to send through. When you use iMessage it requires some form of data connection be it WiFi or your mobile data.
I turned data off with WiFi on and cannot send text or use phone without data turned back on.
Userlevel 7
Okay, well you might have to reset the network settings on your phone. Steps are as follows: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Now keep in mind that when you do this you will lose any WiFi passwords so be sure to enter in your WiFi password again. Hope that helps
Userlevel 6
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Okay, well you might have to reset the network settings on your phone. Steps are as follows: ...

Ethan is right that 3G has to be on, but data can be turned off.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Okay, well you might have to reset the network settings on your phone. Steps are as follows: ...

I apologize for that. I'm not all too familiar with the iPhone and how certain things work on them. From his response it sounded like he was using data on the phone to make phone calls, but I guess the indicator for 3G needs to be present. Thanks Chris.